Jose is forecast to remain offshore, but a tropical storm watch is in effect from DE on Tuesday to MA on Wednesday. "A closer approach would mean moderate to heavy rain, wind and coastal flooding similar to a strong fall nor'easter".
Hurricane warnings are in effect for... Other coastal areas extending from NY to the North Shore of MA are under a tropical storm watch. If landfall were to occur, the most likely location would be eastern Long Island or southeastern New England, especially Cape Cod.
Tropical Storm Maria is moving toward the west-northwest at about 15 miles per hour.
This includes the coast from DE north to the Cape and islands in MA.
Wind gusts around 40-60 miles per hour may occur over the Outer Banks Monday night as Jose passes between Bermuda and the North Carolina coast.
"At the least, Jose will also bring up to two inches of rain and hazardous surf conditions to these coastal locations".
People board up windows of a business in preparation for the anticipated arrival of Hurricane Maria in San Juan Puerto Rico
Jose should turn more to the east and pass south of MA by Thursday, the hurricane center said.
Depending upon how far west the storm travels will affect the amount of rain in the mountains. Some of the same islands impacted by Irma will face another round of damaging winds and flooding rainfall.
As of late Sunday, Lee was no threat to land and forecasters say it may weaken to a low pressure system by Monday night.
To date Jose has pursued a rather erratic career in the Atlantic, and while it is forecast to parallel the coast, should it jog westward the impacts would reach farther inland. Thursday morning the high tide in Portland is 1.4 feet below flood stage.
That's why the warnings and watches are in place for the East Coast.
High rip currents and wave swells are persisting for the city.
Warm, calm weather sticks around this week but eyes remain on Jose and Maria in the Atlantic. In the time since, with the help of both state and federal grants, many shoreline towns have better prepared infrastructure should another storm of that strength hit.
Stay with Maine's Total Weather Team and WMTW News 8 as the storms develop.
- Pelosi Is Confronted By Protesters Angry About Her Immigration Talks With Trump
- Giants-Lions Picks, Predictions: What The BBV Staff Says
- Costly United Nations not delivering results
- 'IT' star Bill Skarsgård reveals 'disturbing' flashback scene was cut from film
- Virgin Islands residents, still reeling from Irma, evacuate as Maria approaches
- Ryanair may have to pay compensation over cancelled flights, says watchdog
- Federal Reserve's Future with Janet Yellen Anticipated Wednesday
- After an Unsatisfying Draw, Will Fight Fans Buy a Canelo/Golovkin Rematch?
- Xiaomi Launched Mi Max 2 4GB+32GB Variant In India At ₹14999
- Gay student campaigns against same-sex marriage, says it will "destroy" Australia