If the 64-year-old Nevada man had converted to Islam recently, as ISIS claims, no one else seems to have noticed, and Paddock doesn't seem to have voiced any support for jihadi causes or made any sort of pro-ISIS statement prior to or during his attack.
The claim of responsibility for the bloodshed, which can not be verified, is an unusual one for Isil. Andrea and I stayed in that EXACT same room past year on the 32nd floor!
"We have no idea how or why this happened", Eric Paddock, the suspected shooter's brother, told ABC News.
Police said he was "solely responsible" for the attack and ruled out a link to worldwide terrorism.
It was the 18th mass murder cataloged by the non-profit Gun Violence Archive this year, which counts incidents in which at least four people were killed (not including the suspect).
Paddock was placed on the FBI's list after escaping in 1968 from the Federal Correctional Institution in La Tuna, Texas.
Paddock's brother claims their father was Patrick Paddock, also known as Benjamin Patrick Paddock, "Baldy", "Big Daddy" and "Chromedome".
Investigators reached Marilou Danley early Monday but do not believe she was involved in the shooting at this time.
Danley, 62, who had traveled to Hong Kong on September 25, could fill in some of the blanks when she returns to the US on Wednesday, the officials said. He was captured a year later in OR, where he reportedly was managing a bingo parlor.
Should we call the Las Vegas shooting terrorism?
"Our family doesn't know Stephen Paddock and has had no knowledge of Marilou's relationship with Mr. Paddock", one of Marilou's former step-daughters, Dionne Waltrip, told 5 News.
Asked about a potential motive, Sheriff Joseph Lombardo said he could not "get into the mind of a psychopath at this point".
Paddock, from Mesquite, Nevada, apparently killed himself as police closed in on his hotel room.
Though Paddock had a stockpile of weapons, he reportedly wasn't an avid shooter and had no criminal history.
In 1960, Benjamin Paddock was charged with stealing $25,000 from three different banks in Arizona, where he and his son are thought to have lived.
"We have determined at this point no connection to an global terrorist organization".
- Man posts chilling video of hotel room used by Vegas shooter
- Terrorists Who Attacked BSF Camp Near Srinagar Airport Killed
- Windstream Holdings, Inc. (WIN) Downgraded to "Strong Sell" at ValuEngine
- "Coldplay's Cover of Tom Petty's 'Free Fallin'" Is the Perfect Tribute
- Ford Higher On Better-Than-Expected Auto Sales
- MLB Wild-Card: Twins at Yankees Start Time, TV Schedule
- Dera chief's 'adopted daughter' woman associate arrested
- CHIP in Limbo: 79000 Mississippi Kids Could Lose Health Insurance
- Hamas, Fatah to start reconciliation talks in Cairo next Monday
- Sen. Sanders statement on Las Vegas shooting