Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California announced that she will seek reelection in 2018, silencing speculation that she meant to retire after holding the office for more than 25 years.
In a note to potential contributors, Garcetti and his wife Amy Elaine Wakeland, also a reception chair, praised Feinstein as a "powerful ally since Eric became mayor" in 2013, "helping secure hundreds of millions in federal funds for our transportation infrastructure and to revitalize the LA River". There's no law that would have done anything to stop the Las Vegas shooter.
One of those "D.C. insiders" who rallied around the very senior senator from California was her relatively junior colleague Kamala Harris.
"The next step after that is to do the best we can to get a Democratic majority in the House and Senate and hopefully a Democrat in the White House", Carrick said.
Feinstein has supported "a public option" and "universal health care" in the past, Carrick said.
Gun control has been a top priority of Feinstein since she was elected to the Senate in 1992 - an issue which has come to the forefront of political discussion in the United States following the deadly mass shooting in Las Vegas earlier this month.
"I strongly support Dianne's reelection campaign, and am thankful she is again offering to serve our state", Harris said.
Asked about a poll that half of California voters don't think she should run, she added: "Oh look".
Environmental activist Tom Steyer, who has been coy about his 2018 plans, also told the Los Angeles Times that he was "not ruling anything out" in the wake of Feinstein's announcement that she would run for reelection.
Feinstein is the oldest US senator but among several octogenarians, including Republicans Chuck Grassley, Orrin Hatch, Richard Shelby, Jim Inhofe, Pat Roberts and John McCain.
The poll has a margin of error of 3.1 percent, plus or minus.
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare's Halloween Event is now underway
- Australia dual citizenship saga: Court hearing begins
- Drunk subway passenger defends repeated racial slurs
- Pfizer may sell consumer unit
- Match And Segment Announced For Tonight's Episode Of WWE SmackDown Live
- Analyst Research Roundup: PayPal Holdings, Inc. (PYPL), Frank's International NV (FI)
- Analyst Research and Ratings: Cypress Semiconductor Corporation (CY), Cirrus Logic, Inc. (CRUS)
- Snapshot - Philadelphia Eagles at Carolina Panthers
- West Nile Virus detected in Santa Barbara County
- Marathon Oil Corporation (MRO), Neothetics, Inc. (NEOT)