But police say the cameras can be operated remotely and they found numerous videos in the bedroom, including one of the in couple.
The vacation rental was located on Longboat Key and it was an IN couple, staying at the rental last month that first noticed they were being watched by a hidden camera and microphone positioned IN the smoke alarm above the bed.
Derek Starnes, who was visiting form IN, was IN the home one night when he saw a pinhole IN the smoke detector.
Responding officers later seized "a lot of computer storage data drives, hard drives, computers, laptops [and] SD cards", Longboat Key police Lt.
He said: 'My wife and I are distressed by this situation.
He shared the photo he took of the device in hopes that other victims will recognize the room and come forward.
Wayne Natt, 56, who posted the room on Airbnb was arrested for video voyeurism and is now out on bond.
"We don't know if there are local victims, someone who may have been dating him or a companion that doesn't realize they are being videotaped, and then we have the other side of who he rented to through Airbnb", Bourque said. The husband, Derek Starnes, told a local ABC television affiliate that he is sure the bedroom camera recorded him naked.
He added he has numerous videos of people engaging in sex parties he hosted at the home.
Police found two smoke detector cameras inside the home.
"They're also wifi capable so they'd beam a signal - he didn't have to hardwire them in", said Bourque.
Natt said that location of the camera "gave him a better angle", according to Bourque. "If people are consenting to recording sexual activity why is it in a hidden smoke alarm?" Some of the recovered videos date back as far as 2008.
Matt Aubin, a private investigator with Cyber Security Services in Tampa and Orlando, said he's received hundreds of complaints from people who have found themselves secretly recorded.
ABC Action News reached out to Airbnb for comment.
As soon as we were made aware, we permanently banned this individual from our community and fully supported the affected guests. "We take privacy issues extremely seriously and have a zero-tolerance policy against this behavior", Breit added.
- Hamas names mastermind of attacks on Israelis as deputy
- China protests US Navy sailing near South China Sea
- Where is the ball? United Kingdom and European Union exchange volleys over Brexit
- PM's Economic Advisory Council identifies 10 areas to accelerate growth
- Pinarayi Vijayan Orders Probe Against Oommen Chandy In Solar Scam Case
- Honor 7X confirmed to sport full-screen bezel-less display
- LaVar Ball pulls youngest son from high school
- Google has patched the Home Mini to stop some accidental snooping
- Runny eggs safe to eat after 30 years: FSA
- Ishares Dec 2021 Term Corp ETF (IBDM) Technicals Take Center Stage