Suspended Trinamool Congress leader Mukul Roy on Wednesday resigned his Rajya Sabha seat and cited "lack of principle" as his compulsion to leave the party of which he was a founding member. "Please wait for a few days", Roy had recently said.
Roy was one of the most senior TMC leader and was seen as the right hand man of West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee before falling out with her.
Roy submitted his resignation to Vice President and Upper House Chairman Venkaiah Naidu. Sometimes Trinamool Congress is with the BJP, sometimes they are with the Congress", adding that "We were very much a part of the NDA government once and joined hands with the BJP.
Speaking to reporters at a press conference in New Delhi, Roy said he was compelled to quit TMC "with a heavy heart".
"We have formed a political party to fight against the Congress rule".
Speculation is rife in political circles on whether Roy will join the BJP or form a new political outfit. He also met the BJP leaders the Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and Kailash Vijayvargiya last week. TMC had also expressed their displeasure over the issue saying he wasn't meeting the BJP leaders on the party's command.
Earlier on September 25, Roy announced that he will resign from the post of Rajya Sabha MP after Durga Puja.
- Westport Asset Management Inc. Holds Position in Air Products & Chemicals, Inc. (APD)
- Mattis: US Army Must Be Ready to 'Confront' North Korea
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV (FCAU) Analysts See $0.50 EPS
- Freeport-McMoran, Inc. (NYSE:FCX) shows Price to Sale ratio of 0
- Trump Won't Get Royal Welcome During UK Visit
- Chelsea starlet Charly Musonda fires shots at club in cryptic Instagram post
- Driving Needs: 5 Car Accessories for a Better Ride
- Cabot Oil & Gas Corp (NYSE:COG): Stock Sentiment
- Neymar tells Paris Saint-Germain to sign Liverpool's Philippe Coutinho
- Amazon Kindle Oasis (2017) hands-on review