He said: "It's been blown out of proportion".
The couple portrayed in the photograph, who may now be facing legal repercussions, later expressed that they hadn't intended for such a backlash, adding that they figured the simulated act would be good for a laugh.
A photograph recently emerged of a couple at a famous chapel on the Greek island of Rhodes which portrayed the two performing a sex act - something that is certainly frowned upon by the church.
"We don't think we did anything wrong but we regret it and wish we hadn't bothered".
However, she is now supposedly too distraught to speak to anyone after the wedding ban.
Carly said she was stunned by the reaction, but defended the photo as a prank.
"She's a lovely girl she would never doing anything like this to cause trouble, she never thought it would go this far".
Friends and family saw the amusing side, but those on the island did not.
His sister, Kimberley, added: "The picture was just a joke".
Afterward, their social media included a snap, since taken down, of the bride on her knees in front of her new husband's groin, with the groom's bare butt in full view and his underwear around his ankles.
The picture, which was taken by one of Matthew's family members, was posted on Facebook and immediately went viral.
That may have been the case for one photographer who just managed to get all foreign weddings on the Greek island of Rhodes banned.
As Giorgos Eleftheriou, president of the Lindos community on the island told The Times, the Greek cherish the traditions and the sanctity of their religious sites. We can not allow this disgusting behaviour to prevail'.
"Hundreds of future brides from the United Kingdom and around the world calling me tonight because of this thing", - said the head of the community of Lindos.
"We they have done the same in their homeland; in front of a British chapel, a Jewish temple, a Muslim mosque? They'd have been beheaded by Muslims!"
Mrs Lunn said they had always planned to do the photo after their wedding last month. It was a stupid and tasteless idea, in the first place - and now it is going to leave a lot of people such as hotels and restaurants seriously out of pocket.
The Greek wedding party. As she tells the Daily Mail, "the whole thing went mad".
- Union makes final offer to avoid Ontario College strike
- Talwar couple to walk out of Dasna jail today
- Cowen and Company Boosts Dow Chemical Co (DOW) Price Target to $60.00
- US Bancorp (USB) Holdings Lifted by Camden National Bank
- Cuphead crosses 1 million copies sold
- Lowe's Companies, Inc. (LOW) Shares Bought by American Century Companies Inc
- Analysts See $0.14 EPS for Cypress Energy Partners LP (CELP)
- Saunders Sells 18621 Shares of Dollar Tree, Inc. (DLTR) Stock
- PayPal (NASDAQ:PYPL) Valuation According To Analysts
- Gotham Asset Management LLC Raises Position in HCA Holdings, Inc. (HCA)