"We are extremely proud of what they've accomplished and are thrilled to be bringing fans a second season of this tremendous series".
Discovery has certainly benefited from plenty of hype, since it's the first Trek show to air as a TV show since 2005.
The announcement on Monday comes just weeks after the series' premiere on CBS' digital video-streaming service.
The new incarnation of the storied franchise had a challenging two-year road to the screen. Martin-Green is the first woman of color to lead a Star Trek series and Michael Burnham is the first lead character in a Star Trek series who is not a Starfleet captain.
The first six episodes of the show are available now-with three more coming in the next few weeks, ending November 12.
Are you pleased with CBS' decision to pick up a second season of Star Trek: Discovery and was there ever any doubt in your mind that the latest installment in the Star Trek franchise would be a one-and-done series?
Season 1 of Star Trek: Discovery is now available for streaming on CBS All Access with new episodes dropping every Sunday night at 8:30/7:30c.
Star Trek: Discovery, which was already boldly going where no version of the show had gone before, will continue its mission, presumably in 2018.
Discovery, co-starring Doug Jones, Jason Isaacs, Anthony Rapp, Michelle Yeoh, is produced by CBS Television Studios, Kurtzman's studio-based Secret Hideout, Living Dead Guy Productions and Roddenberry Entertainment. Alex Kurtzman, Bryan Fuller, Heather Kadin, Gretchen J. Berg & Aaron Harberts, Akiva Goldsman, Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth serve as executive producers.
Discovery joins a roster of originals at CBS All Access that also includes The Good Fight (a spinoff of The Good Wife) and the upcoming dramas Strange Angel, $1 and comedy No Activity.
- Canadian man fined $149 for singing 'Everybody Dance Now' in vehicle
- Windies Women complete T20I series whitewash against Sri Lanka
- Keir Starmer: Labour to back Tory rebels on Brexit deal
- Lili Reinhart Has Apologized for That Controversial Halloween Tweet
- UN, AU call for peaceful election in Kenya
- Morgan Stanley Raises Tesla Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) Price Target to $379.00
- Royal Bank Of Scotland Group Plc (NYSE:RBS) Valuation According To Analysts
- Two people dead in NT light plane crash
- Driver Hospitalized In Freeway Shooting On I-380 In San Bruno
- Atletico Madrid coach Simeone satisfied with 1-0 win at Celta Vigo