But proponents of devices like e-cigs and vaporizers - larger, cellphone-size gadgets - say they are a safer alternative to cigarettes and may help with smoking cessation.
The bill is the latest passed by the State Legislature to combat the rise in e-cigarette and vaping by youths and in public places including bars, said Senate Health Committee Chairman Kemp Hannon (R-Garden City). "This measure closes another risky loophole in the law, creating a stronger, healthier NY for all".
At Long Island Vape, in Huntington Station, the owner, Aman Singh, said the rules were unnecessary - the social mores that govern cigarettes already are in play when it comes to vapers, he said.
However, critics note that little is known about the health effects of using e-cigarettes. The passage of this bill places new restrictions on electronic cigarette usage in several indoor locations.
E-cigarette smokers in NY will soon join the same outdoor areas as cigarette smokers. "Bans of a legal product to thwart not only use but the sight of it conscripts unwilling free citizens into advocacy groups' wars and is government censorship at its worst".
Effective in 30 days, vaping will be banned in, among other areas, the workplace, on public transportation, indoors at all public and private colleges, and in outdoor areas where smoking is otherwise banned. Nicotine is among the ingredients that can be found in e-cigarettes.
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has signed a bill into law banning the use of e-cigarettes in public places.
Use of e-cigarettes among high school students increased by 900 percent from 2011 to 2015, according to the US Surgeon General.
But there appeared to be a loophole for e-cigarettes.
- India's Biggest Ever Highway Development Plan Worth Rs 7 Lakh Crore Approved
- Analyst's Predictions on Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. (SBGI), RSP Permian, Inc. (RSPP)
- Independence Realty Trust, Inc. (NYSE:IRT) Analyst Recommendation
- Samsung Galaxy J5 (2016) Android 7.1.1 Nougat update begins rolling out
- World's biggest genetic study finds 72 new breast cancer markers
- Police failing to protect victims of slavery, report finds
- Newegg hit by Ponzi scheme lawsuit
- Diana Shipping inc. (NYSE:DSX) Trading Volume Significantly Higher
- New Nokia phone coming to India on October 31
- Khan: Mayweather Can't Outbox Me, I'll Cause Him Problems