Second bacterium found in Louisiana mass food poisoning

Tuesday, 24 Oct, 2017

A high majority of the people who ate the dish became ill.

The ages of those with a confirmed illness range from 15 to 72 years old.

Doctors expect more illness, because more than 300 plates may have been sold.

A second bacteria contributed to the mass food poisoning in Caldwell Parish according to Dr. Parham Jaberi, assistant state health officer. "These are organisms that, when they are ingested, they release a toxin that gets you sick".

Many businesses in town were short-staffed because of the outbreak, Mayor Richard Meredith told The News-Star of Monroe. He added, "I've never seen anything like it".

Drew Keahey, a Caldwell Parish farmer, president of the Tensas Parish Levee District board and a director of Homeland Bank, mentioned that over ten bank workers had to leave on Tuesday.

"Everybody knows somebody who is sick", he said.

Scores of people are sick after an outbreak of salmonella poisoning in Louisiana that may have caused the death of one person, according to officials.

The health department said food purchased from the fundraiser - including side dishes that could have had contact with the jambalaya - should be thrown away.

Salmonella causes around one million food-borne illnesses in the United States yearly, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Clostridium perfringens produces a toxin that causes gastrointestinal illness and presents numerous same symptoms as salmonella. Typical symptoms include diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and fever.