The ECP accepted Imran Khan's apology and disposed of the Contempt Of Court Case against him.
The PTI chief had finally appeared before the commission today to come clean - almost two weeks after his non-bailable arrest warrants were issued - in connection with two contempt petitions filed against him.
According to Pakistan media, Khan was accompanied by his party counsel Babar Awan, Secretary General Jahangir Tareen and leaders Shafqat Mehmood and Naeemul Haque.
The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) on Thursday dropped contempt proceedings against Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan after he tendered a written apology over his remarks in which he had accused the electoral body of bias.
Imran's counsel Babar Awan presented arguments and requested the bench to conclude the contempt of court cases against Imran Khan as, in respect for institutions, he has presented himself before the ECP. "What difference does it will make if Imran Khan submit apology in the second case too", said CEC.
Khan submitted apologies in both cases which were signed by him and the ECP accepted while the bench's head Sardar Raza said that he should be careful in his words in future or he would have to face consequences.
The PTI Chief said that it was caused by a misunderstanding, adding that he never meant to ridicule or insult the CEC.
"I am happy that the contempt proceedings have now ended".
After multiple summons and directions by the election regulator, the PTI chief did not show up before the commission and filed petitions in the Islamabad High Court to put a halt to the proceedings against him in the ECP. My criticism is only for the sake of the betterment of institutions. He hoped that the ECP would conduct the free and fair elections in the Country.
- Sensex, Nifty Close At New Peaks On Earnings Cheer
- This Glamorous Picture of Suhana Khan Is Sure To Leave You Amazed
- Cricketer Chris Gayle 'reserved, scared' around women after exposure accusation, court hears
- Fire breaks out at Mumbai slum, reaches Bandra railway station
- Twitter admits overstating user numbers for years
- Oppp R11s leaked in HD press renders showing the device in full
- Patriots LB Dont'a Hightower Out for Season With Pectoral Injury
- Michaelia Cash denies she knew of staffer AWU media leak
- Asia had more billionaires than USA a year ago
- Google Assistant now works with Canary security cameras