"As these terrorist organizations have enlarged their numbers and have enlarged their strength and their capability within Pakistan's borders, this can lead to a threat to Pakistan's own stability". Tillerson started talks with Indian leaders after his arrival in India and is expected to highlight the strong alliance between the two nations, with both anxious to counter China's growing influence.
In New Delhi the Secretary of State thanked his Indian counterpart Sushma Swaraj for standing "shoulder to shoulder" with the U.S. in combating extremism in the region.
"We also agreed that Pakistan should take immediate steps to eliminate terror safe havens".
"Quite frankly my view - and I expressed this to the leadership of Pakistan - is we also are concerned about the stability and security of Pakistan?s government as well", he told reporters in New Delhi.
Talking to the state television, he said Pakistan presented its stance on ceasefire violations at the Line of Control and atrocities on innocent Kashmir in Occupied Kashmir during the meeting with visit of the US Secretary of State.
Tillerson said he had "open and frank" talks with the Pakistan leadership over the concerns the United States shared with its ally India and also Afghanistan that there were too many terrorist organisations which find safe place in Pakistan to conduct their operations and attacks on other countries.
Earlier in the day, Secretary Tillerson also held detailed discussions with India's External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and National Security Adviser Ajit Doval.
The harsher tone with Pakistan, nominally an American ally in South Asia, comes as what may be seen as a larger American diplomatic shift underway by the Trump administration.
On Tuesday, during a meeting with Pakistan Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi in Islamabad, Tillerson reiterated US President Donald Trump's message that Pakistan must increase its efforts to eradicate militants and terrorists operating within the country.
- ANZ Full-Year Cash Profit Up 18%
- Here are 3 new methods to link mobile number with Aadhaar
- Astros' Altuve, Marlins' Stanton win Aaron award
- Bold new BMW X2 small SUV revealed
- 124 people died, more than a thousand infected — Plague in Madagascar
- Walgreens to close 600 stores, spend $750M to rebrand Right Aids
- Proclamation names Red Ribbon Week
- Vin Scully calls in Fernando Valenzuela for help with first pitch
- Twitter to open transparency centre, label political ads
- USCIS increases scrutiny on H-1B, L-1 visa extensions