In May, the President's spokesman said a "very black" Zimbabwean doctor supervises Mr Mugabe's medical care at home and the leader only flies overseas for specialist eye treatment.
World Health Organization removes Mugabe as its Goodwill Ambassador The United States called the appointment of Mugabe by WHO's first African leader "disappointing".
The WHO had named Mugabe as a Goodwill Ambassador following a proposal from director general Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who praised Zimbabwe for its commitments to public health.
After all, state media had reported on the appointment last week, hailing it as another feather in Mugabe's cap. "As a result I have chose to rescind the appointment", he said. They wondered how the former foreign minister of Ethiopia-his country's top diplomat-did not anticipate the lightning rod that Mr. Mugabe's appointment would be for his many critics.
Charamba also told The Herald, a state-run newspaper, during the interview that Mugabe would have turned down the role anyway days after the 93-year-old president was stripped off the ceremonial post to help in the fight against non-communicable diseases (NCDs) in Africa.
He added: "That (homosexuality) destroys nations, apart from it being a filthy, filthy disease". In the case of cancer, for example, Zimbabwe is one of four African countries with high rates of cancer morbidity and mortality linked to poor screening, diagnosis, delays in treatment, shortage of facilities and patient awareness. He said the World Health Organization is against tobacco growing and selling and that this is a key foreign currency earner for Zimbabwe. Still, he was unanimously supported by the African Union, headed at the time by President Mugabe.
- What the Insider Data Suggests About Cognizant Technology Solutions Corporation (CTSH)
- Waterford man wins $21 million Mega Millions jackpot
- Breast cancer treatments not the same for all women
- Alien-like Mysterious Creature Recorded to Live in Indonesia
- Kroenke brands Arsenal fans 'rabid': We will NOT sell
- Terror safe havens won't be tolerated: India, US tell Pak
- Ram Nath Kovind's praise of Tipu Sultan leaves Karnataka BJP red-faced
- Ne-Yo and wife Crystal Smith expecting second child together
- Tumhari Sulu: Hawa Hawai 2.0, Vidya Balan gives tribute to Sri Devi
- Twenty-First Century Fox, Inc. (NASDAQ:FOXA) Pressured Under Trend Lines