At least three people were killed and 10 others injured in a stampede during Kartik Purnima celebrations on Saturday at Simaria ghat in Begusarai district of Bihar.
The incident occurred in a narrow lane next to the Simaria ghat, where people had gathered in large numbers on the occasion of Karthik Purnima, said Sadar Deputy Superintendent of Police Mithilesh Kumar. The stampede took place early in the morning at around 8 am.
According to district police officials, the stampede was caused by some rumours. Kartik Purnima is a major festival in north India which celebrates the arrival of Lord Vishnu as Matsya (fish) on earth. The injured were rushed to the local hospital for treatment.
RJD Chief Lalu Prasad Yadav wrote on micro-blogging site Twitter, that he is saddened by the news of the stampede and the state government should have been more vigilant and cautious with crowd control measures. Meanwhile, the Chief Minister of Bihar, Nitish Kumar has announced an ex-gratia of Rs 4 lakh to kin of those killed in stampede.
Further details are awaited.
- Laredo Petroleum, Inc. (LPI) Given Consensus Recommendation of "Hold" by Brokerages
- Analyst Recommendation about These Stocks: Oasis Petroleum Inc. (OAS), GoPro, Inc. (GPRO)
- Most expensive cars in the world: review of 2018
- Unusual Activity Sighted in Universal Display Corporation (NASDAQ:OLED) Shares
- New India Assurance IPO subscribed 1.04 times on first day
- Fifth Third Bancorp (FITB) - Nomura Maintains Rating And Updates Price Target
- US Hits Basis of ISIS Affiliated Militants in Northeastern Somalia
- Global Steel Bead Wire Market Report 2017 Growth, Share, Analysis and Forecasts
- Driving Needs: 5 Car Accessories for a Better Ride
- The First Trailer For EA Sports UFC 3 Punches Out