George H.W. Bush said he voted for Clinton and told the author he considered Trump a "blowhard".
Bush Sr., who voted for Hillary Clinton in the 2016 election, thought Trump seemed to have "a certain ego" but initially had hopes that he could unite the country if he possessed a sense of "humility". I don't know much about him, but I know he's a blowhard. "And I'm not too excited about him being a leader".
The author, Mark Updegrove, interviewed the Bushes previous year - long before Trump's inauguration - and found neither wanted to see the coarse, populist campaigner become president.
George W. Bush told Updegrove that he was surprised Trump won the nomination and presidency.
You can read the whole report here.
Updegrove to the New York Times that at the time, he thought Bush was anxious Clinton would become president.
Trump ran as an anti-establishment Republican, made famous by his "drain the swamp" promise and slogan, and the younger Bush president admitted his brother and former GOP presidential candidate Jeb "didn't fit with the mood".
While President Trump has not been a favorite in the Bush households, the former father and son presidents' dislike of their successor is now quite clear.
They also suggest that Trump has wrecked their longtime efforts to continue to build a political party committed to free trade and immigration and the continuation of United States as a world leader in democracy.
The book's publication comes just weeks after George W. Bush delivered a stern public rebuke of Trump - without once ever mentioning his name.
"We should have never been in Iraq", Trump continued.
"If you look at the Bush family, it makes flawless sense", Updegrove told CNN.
The younger Bush reportedly ticked "None of the above" when it came time to choose a president.
- Razer debuts new Overwatch accessories inspired by D.Va
- Tencor Corporation (KLAC) Receiving Somewhat Positive Press Coverage, Study Finds
- Read it, but please pay for it, says #ThePresidentsKeepers publishers
- Fast food delivery driver may be blinded after 'corrosive substance' attack
- Papa John's Blamed NFL Anthem Protests for Sagging Sales
- WhatsApp messenger goes down temporarily in India & other countries
- Tesla reports biggest-ever quarterly loss, Model 3 delays
- Writing essay service how it is.
- Facebook now lets you make two-option polls with GIFs and photos
- Kraft Heinz quarterly profit rises 12% as costs fall