FIFA World Cup champions Germany avoided a defeat at the last worldwide match in 2017 as the hosts fought back twice on goals from Timo Werner and Lars Stindl on Tuesday, reports Xinhua news agency.
The hosts needed the break to recover from the setback as Anthony Ruediger had a promising chance to level the scores before Timo Werner capitalized on a through ball from Ozil to restore parity in the 56th minute.
A Germany side showing six changes from their draw with England took time to settle and that allowed France to have the better of the opening exchanges, although they initially failed to stretch Kevin Trapp.
Overall, we can be very happy with the year we've had: we won the Confederations Cup, we went unbeaten and we won all our World Cup qualifying matches. But the hosts struggled under early French pressure, with the speedy Kylian Mbappe and Blaise Matuidi a constant threat.
France eventually broke the deadlock in the 33rd minute as Martial unselfishly teed up Lacazette for the simple tap-in from close range, 1-0. We were a bit nervous in the first half, but we got forward well in the second half and pressed harder; France were very unsafe on the counter. "I am very satisfied with the last two test games".
Germany's last minute scorer Lars Stindl, 3rd left, celebrates after scoring his side's 2nd goal during an global friendly soccer match between Germany and France in Cologne, Germany, Tuesday, Nov. 14, 2017.
Half-time substitute Antonio Rudiger should have brought Germany level seven minutes after his introduction, but the Chelsea defender skewed his effort wide after great work down the left from Julian Draxler. Instead it was Werner who grabbed the equaliser in the 56th minute with his seventh goal in his 10th global as he finished off a quick break launched by Mesut Ozil.
Arsenal striker Alexandre Lacazette says his two-goal display against Germany on Wednesday was his best performance yet for France and hopes it will leave a lasting impression on coach Didier Deschamps. "We did a lot of good things against this German team". Before this camp, we qualified for the World Cup with a four-point lead over Sweden, which isn't bad when you see that they also managed to qualify.
- Crytek announces Battle Royale mode for Warface
- North Korean Soldier Is Shot While Defecting Across DMZ, South Says
- Warren Buffett adds to Apple stake, bails further on IBM
- Navios Maritime Holdings Inc. (NM) Analysts See $-0.22 EPS
- 5.4-magnitude quake hits South Korea: USGS
- Wall Street Analyst's Guidance: McKesson Corporation (MCK), Caterpillar Inc. (CAT)
- Sam Mendes leaves Disney's live action Pinocchio
- Trump tweets about the wrong mass shooting, gets trolled
- A Fresh Look At Applied Materials, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMAT)
- Volume: A Tool to Project Future Performance - Duke Realty Corporation (NYSE: DRE)