The hack appears to have affected the money stored locally, on the NiceHash network.
Several users pointed to a Bitcoin wallet address that was opened Tuesday at 9:07pm, which went from a balance of 0.01 bitcoin, valued just over $123, to a balance of 4,655.25 bitcoin, worth $57.7 million, after the user made more than 3,000 transactions around 9:17pm. Nicehash has indicated that they have reached out to and are cooperating with the relevant authorities, but unless they are able to find the individual (s) responsible and recover the massive amount of bitcoin it is not looking good. The announcement came 12 hours after NiceHash suddenly informed users that they were undergoing maintenance.
That led to NiceHash admitting via a release that "there has been a security breach involving NiceHash website".
While not providing much in the way of details, the company did say in a statement that there had been "a security breach involving NiceHash website" and that they "are now investigating the nature of the incident and, as a result... are stopping all operations for the next 24 hours". The company said Thursday, Dec. 7, 2017 in a statement posted on its website that it had stopped operations and was working to verify how many bitcoins were taken.
Clearly, this is a matter of deep concern and we are working hard to rectify the matter in the coming days.
TOKYO (AP) - The Slovenian-based bitcoin miner NiceHash says it is investigating a security breach and the possible theft of tens of millions of dollars' worth of bitcoins, as meanwhile the value of the virtual currency has soared to a new record high.
"While the full scope of what happened is not yet known, we recommend, as a precaution, that you change your online passwords", the site told users. We will endeavor to update you at regular intervals.
- Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department Finds Actor Corey Feldman's Missing 1993 Tape
- Xiaomi looking for Mi A1 Android 8.0 Oreo beta testers
- Max Hospital case: Baby dies, father refuses to take body
- Kano Agog As Buhari Arrives For 2-Day Visit
- Blackhawks have another miserable night in 6-2 loss to Capitals
- Trump's first year: Border crossings down, deportations up
- It star Jack Dylan Grazer joins cast of Shazam! as Freddy (Freeman?)
- Saudi prince is buyer of world's dearest painting, Leonardo's Salvator Mundi
- Stipe Miocic vs. Francis Ngannou set for UFC 220
- Analyst's Discussions about this Stock: Lam Research Corporation (LRCX)