The deadline for mandatory linking of Aadhaar to various government schemes will be extended till March 31 next year, the centre has told the Supreme Court today.
Last month, the government had told the court, which is hearing petitions against making Aadhaar linking to bank accounts, mobile phone numbers and others mandatory, that it is willing to extend the deadline toMarch 31, 2018.
The apex court said that since the main Aadhaar case was due to he heard at the end of November, a stay was not necessary in the current situation.
The bench, also comprising Justices A M Khanwilkar and D Y Chandrachud, said only the Constitution bench will pass an interim order in the matter.
Some petitioners in the top court have termed the linking of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) number with bank accounts and mobile numbers as "illegal and unconstitutional".
On November 26, the top court had said that it would hear the petitions after its constitution bench concludes hearing the Delhi-Centre governance dispute. According to the notification given on May 11, 2017, these services are mandatory to link with Aadhaar before their deadline.
"There will be a time when, once Supreme Court clears it, we would like to give a date by which all have to link with Aadhaar and remaining will be cancelled". Several petitioners challenging the validity of Aadhaar had claimed it violated privacy rights.
Aadhaar is a 12 digit unique-identity number issued to all Indian residents based on their biometric and demographic data. Aadhaar card can be linked, with the customers' mobile banking to the bank accounts. It is also mandatory to link PAN Card with Aadhaar card.
- Jimmy Butler was not impressed with Taj Gibson's full-court heave
- Blackhawks have another miserable night in 6-2 loss to Capitals
- Google is partnering with Qualcomm and MediaTek for Android Go devices
- Rupert Murdoch's House Among Those Under Threat From LA Wildfires
- Aberdeen refuse Rangers permission to speak to manager Derek McInnes
- Ball State upsets Notre Dame with last-second 3
- Saudi prince is buyer of world's dearest painting, Leonardo's Salvator Mundi
- Stipe Miocic vs. Francis Ngannou set for UFC 220
- Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department Finds Actor Corey Feldman's Missing 1993 Tape
- Max Hospital case: Baby dies, father refuses to take body