The latter project, hitting theaters on December 25, 2018, will star Emily Mortimer, Emily Blunt, Colin Firth, Meryl Streep, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Angela Lansbury and Dick Van Dyke.
Should this go through, this would be another film that he and Lin-Manuel Miranda will have worked on together. Miranda is one of the stars of Mary Poppins Returns, and is now set to write new songs for The Little Mermaid, alongside the legend Alan Menken. According to Deadline, an offer to direct has been extended and Marshall is expected to come to a decision over the holidays.
Following the success of live-action reboots of classics like Beauty and the Beast and The Jungle Book, Disney is embarking on another bankable revival - a live-action adaptation of The Little Mermaid.
The Little Mermaid is just one of multiple live action adaptations of classic Disney films now in the works. Should he accept the directing job, it would mark Marshall's fourth collaboration with Disney, having previously directed Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides and Into the Woods with Mary Poppins Returns set to be release next year. The film doesn't have a release date yet, but assuming that the project continues to move forward at a steady pace, I'd expect it to land somewhere in 2021 or 2022. Until then, Disney has quite a few other live-action remakes on deck, including Mulan, Dumbo, Aladdin, The Lion King, and Christopher Robin.
Are you ready for a live-action Little Mermaid to be part of your world, or are you exhausted of hearing about live-action remakes? Let us know your thoughts down below!
- Worldwide releases Court Declaration in Case against Kiss Daniel
- Women's Shelter hosting event to honour victims of Montreal Massacre
- Volkswagen executive gets 7 years in prison for emissions scandal
- Toys for Tots Shopping Day is Saturday
- Gilead Sciences, Inc. (GILD) is Krensavage Asset Management LLC's 3rd Largest Position
- Hot Performer of the day: Banco Bradesco SA (NYSE:BBD)
- Q2 Loss from Juniper Networks Inc (JNPR)Shrinks -65% from Previous Quarter
- Time Magazine's 2017 Person of the Year is the Anti-Harassment Movement
- Healthcor Management LP Raised Its Celgene Corp (CELG) Position by $67.73 Million
- The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (GS)