FYI, it looks like the Stanton sweepstakes is down to the Giants, Dodgers and Cardinals - so, when TMZ Sports got Cohen - an STL superfan - out in NYC. he made sure Giancarlo knew all he'd be getting. Stanton has been stuck on a losing team for his entire career.
The Giants remain in the hunt for Shohei Ohtani though since a contract for the Japanese star will only be the league minimum it is possible they could acquire both players. He wants out of Miami because he doesn't feel they will be winning the World Series anytime soon. They've been mediocre for years - a restart is nearly necessary. That's especially the case now that the punishments are even more costly under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. Eric Stephen of True Blue L.A. did a great job of breaking down the Dodgers' current straits on this front. Stanton has a no-trade clause in his contract and reportedly is unwilling to play for either the St. Louis Cardinals or Boston Red Sox. They'll need to trade Stanton to achieve that, as his contract runs through the 2028 season. Yes, the Marlins have floated threats of tearing down the team around Stanton if he doesn't approve a deal. There is one team that Stanton wants to go to and is willing to take on the rest of his mega-deal.
If Ohtani agrees to a deal and Stanton is traded this week, that leaves the offseason with something of a late "start", but at least the timing is still a bit right as the winter meetings kick off on Sunday. "Other scenarios as well exist that address our needs". To what degree can the Marlins be cornered into paying more of that $295 million that Stanton is owed if those San Fran and St. Louis frameworks fall apart?
- Arsene Wenger: What's different about Mesut Ozil at Arsenal over past month
- Time Magazine's 2017 Person of the Year is the Anti-Harassment Movement
- No Real contact with Icardi
- The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (GS)
- Has Prince Harry already asked brother William to be his best man?
- Worldwide releases Court Declaration in Case against Kiss Daniel
- Volkswagen executive gets 7 years in prison for emissions scandal
- Women's Shelter hosting event to honour victims of Montreal Massacre
- Mysterious monster of a black hole puzzles scientists
- SA Is Extraordinary, Must Choose Leaders That Reflect This -- Graça Machel