SIA will operate a mix of Airbus A380s and Boeing 777-300ERs, while Air New Zealand will utilise its new configuration 787-9 aircraft, offering more premium seats than its current 787-9 fleet.
Air New Zealand will cancel six worldwide flights and retime others between 7 and 10 December to accommodate urgent maintenance on the Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 engines that power its Boeing 787-9 fleet.
"Under the alliance, Singapore Airlines has access to New Zealand's domestic, Australia and Pacific Islands network, and similarly Air New Zealand to over 50 destinations throughout Singapore Airlines' South East Asia, Europe and South Africa network", says Mr Tasker.
Currently, Air New Zealand and Singapore Airlines are in a joint venture on the Singapore to Auckland route, together operating two daily services.
Japan's ANA and Britain's Virgin Atlantic have previously reported problems with the Trent 1000 engines.
Earlier this year, Rolls-Royce issued a service bulletin calling for increased inspections of the compressor's rotor section as an interim measure to address possible cracking in the intermediate pressure compressor of the engine while it develops a permanent fix.
The New Zealand Transport Accident Investigation Commission (TAIC) is looking into two recent 787-9 flights that were turned back after takeoff after problems arose during the flight.
Air New Zealand chief operations integrity and standards officer David Morgan told the NZ Herald the the blades failed on the flight to Tokyo Narita, while exhaust gas temperature rises indicated problems with the engine.
TAIC is working closely with the airline, Civil Aviation Authority and engine-manufacturer Rolls Royce.
- Harbour Capital Advisors LLC Increases Stake in Broadcom Limited (NASDAQ:AVGO)
- $591m Da Vinci painting heads to Abu Dhabi's new Louvre
- Saudi prince is buyer of world's dearest painting, Leonardo's Salvator Mundi
- Porn star August Ames found dead days after backslash for homophobic remarks
- New York Islanders Penalty Kill Needs To Step Up (Keys To Game)
- Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ:WBA) Holdings Lowered by CQS Cayman LP
- Crypto-mining website NiceHash goes offline after hackers empty Bitcoin wallet
- Google is partnering with Qualcomm and MediaTek for Android Go devices
- Govt to consider merging inadequate drinking water suppliers
- Deadline for linking Aadhaar likely to be extended to March 31