Conyers' girlfriend said he grabbed her and pushed her to the ground in the summer of 2016, though he said she fell, according to the woman's account in court documents.
The police report says there were independent witnesses and that the woman's injury can not be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that is was not accidentally sustained while Conyers was disarming her. John Conyers' resignation from the U.S. House amid sexual harassment allegations unlocks the seat he's held for more than a half-century.
Local 4 reached out to John Conyers III through the family attorney and tried to reach him on the phone, but we have not heard back.
The son of Rep. John Conyers, who resigned from Congress this week amid sexual harassment accusations, was arrested in Los Angeles in February on suspicion of domestic violence, NBC News has learned. The alleged victim was not named in the prosecutors' document. The woman alleged that he "body slammed" her on a bed and then on the floor. She said he took the knife from her and cut her. He said they started becoming aggressive with each other, and that she threatened him with the knife.
Conyers III says the girlfriend had consumed alcohol and marijuana and that she tried to force him to leave, which lead to the physical fight and her threatening him with the knife.
Conyers' father, John Conyers (D-Mich.), resigned from Congress on earlier this week amid shocking allegations he sexually harassed a number of female staffers.
Conyers was released on a $50,000 bond the same day and the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office denied pursuing charges, citing a "lack of independent witnesses".
'I have a great family here and especially in my oldest boy, John Conyers III, who incidentally, I endorse to replace me in my seat in Congress, ' the lawmaker said.
The younger Conyers said he would make a decision 'once I have taken the time to thoroughly listen to our community'.
Another family member, MI state Sen.
John Conyers III poses with his father in 2011.
John Conyers III is a partner for a Detroit-based, minority-run hedge fund.
Speaking to reporters last week after the allegations against his father emerged, Conyers III said, "With sexual assault, women are to be believed".
When Conyers announced his retirement Tuesday morning on a Detroit radio station, he made it clear he wants his son, John Conyers III, to take his place.
- The Boring Company has published its tunnel map of Los Angeles
- Premier League Legend Explains Why Manchester United Can Still Win The Title
- Lululemon athletica (LULU) Stock Rating Reaffirmed by Needham & Company LLC
- South Korea's Moon to visit China amid North Korea tensions
- Stokes and Hales in England one-day squad for Australia
- USA healthcare spending growth slowed in 2016
- DNR Says Many More Deer Could Have CWD
- Willie Taggart listened to his son, followed his dream to coach Seminoles
- Man charged with Prince George-related terror offence
- Dwayne Johnson awarded with star on Hollywood Walk of Fame