That's completely separate from the money Ohtani will make.
The Angels and Seattle Mariners, two of the three finalists for Shoehei Ohtani who have financial wiggle room, engaged in a duel of deals to get more money to pursue the Japanese superstar on Wednesday night.
About an hour later, Seattle announced that it had sent minor league catching prospect David Banuelos to Minnesota in exchange for $1 million of the Twins worldwide pool money.
The Twins ended up with $3.25 million in global bonus money when they voided the contract of Jelfry Marte, a 16-year-old shortstop from the Dominican Republic.
The Seattle Mariners and Los Angeles Angels each have acquired $1 million in worldwide bonus pool money from the Minnesota Twins, aiding their pursuit of Japanese outfielder and pitcher Shohei Ohtani.
The move gives the Mariners $2.55 million available to give the highly coveted Ohtani, while the Angels now have $2.315 million. Banuelos, 21, hit.236 with four home runs in 36 games for the Class A Everett (Wash.) AquaSox after signing in July.
Ohtani was put up for bid on December 1 by the Pacific League's Nippon Ham Fighters for the maximum $20 million posting fee and met with the Mariners, Angels, Rangers, San Francisco Giants, Los Angeles Dodgers, San Diego Padres and Chicago Cubs in-person this week. Also, all three major league outfielders - Mike Trout, Justin Upton and Kole Calhoun - are now signed through 2020, at least. He was selected in the fifth round of the 2017 draft out of Long Beach State and signed for a $300,000 bonus. MLB Pipeline ranked him as the 10th-best prospect in Mariners system. Seattle, Los Angeles and Texas are among seven teams believed to be in the running for Ohtani. The Mariners have $2.557 million. However, he has a slew of endorsements in Japan and likely will add more once he joins the Major League Baseball that help keep him well-financed.
- Hall of Fame Quarterback Warren Moon Sued For Sexual Harassment
- Overpowered New Gun Dominates Destiny 2 PvP
- Premier League Legend Explains Why Manchester United Can Still Win The Title
- Putin : Russian sports fans 'sad' about Olympic ban
- Why Hugh Jackman turned down James Bond
- USA healthcare spending growth slowed in 2016
- 26th annual performance of The Nutcracker to benefit CMN
- What does USA recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital mean?
- Volkswagen executive gets 7 years in prison for emissions scandal
- Worldwide releases Court Declaration in Case against Kiss Daniel