But to their utter horror, the the boy was still alive, while they were on way to do their final rites.
"We called him Champ".
The baby was placed on life support, according to local TV news channel NDTV. On Tuesday night, the doctors told us his condition is very critical and there is little chance of survival.
The infant died due to an infection at a nursing home after battling for life for almost a week - which jolted the entire family, which was demanding the arrest of erring doctors.
Last Friday, allegations had emerged that the hospital handed over twins it had declared dead to the family in "polythene packets" and that one of the babies turned out to be alive while being taken to the cremation ground. The baby's uncle said that they will continue to protest outside Max Hospital.
Health Minister Satyendar Jain said on Wednesday that the government was ready to "take the strictest possible action" against the hospital.
The hospital also condoled with the parents after learning that the baby had died; "Our deepest condolences are with the parents and other family members". On December 2, Jain had said the hospital's licence could be cancelled if a probe found it guilty of medical negligence. On Wednesday, however, he did not mention what action the government may take.
Jain reiterated that on November 22, a notice was sent to Max Hospital for allegedly violating norms related to services to be given to EWS patients.
CCI also found the hospital and BD Ltd prima facie guilty of selling syringes from the hospital's pharmacy at double the MRP.
In response to the Delhi government's report, Max Healthcare said in a statement, "We would like to thoroughly review the final report when we receive it before commenting".
Meanwhile, the case has been transferred to the crime branch and the northwest district police has been asked to hand over the files. "The notification came late Wednesday evening stating that the case has been transferred to Crime Branch", said Deputy Commissioner of Police (North-West) Aslam Khan.
A medical negligence case was registered under Section 308 of Indian Penal Code (IPC) against the hospital.
- Google is partnering with Qualcomm and MediaTek for Android Go devices
- ValuEngine Upgrades Mylan (MYL) to "Buy"
- Kim Davis denied him a marriage license. Now he wants her job
- Police bodycam shows United States politician caught in hotel room with teen boy
- Saudi prince is buyer of world's dearest painting, Leonardo's Salvator Mundi
- The Boring Company has published its tunnel map of Los Angeles
- Jeffrey Tambor May Not Quit 'Transparent' After All
- How Real-World Weather Will Now Change Pokemon Go
- North Korean missile threat forced Singapore Airlines to reroute flights
- Gusts of 110km/h forecast in Galway wind warning