UFC 220 is on the verge of getting even bigger - literally.
News arrived from MMA Junkie and was subsequently confirmed by MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani tonight (Dec. 6, 2017) that champion Stipe Miocic will take on surging No. 1 contender Francis Ngannou in a potentially explosive match-up. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the UFC had yet to make its plans public. Contractual issues, however, have kept Miocic out of the octagon since the Dos Santos fight.
Cameroon's Francis Ngannou has built up a ferocious reputation for his knockout fists in the UFC, with the fighter now on the verge of a title shot in the organisation.
Miocic won the heavyweight title with a sensational first-round knockout of Fabricio Werdum on hostile territory in May of last year and has since made two successful defences, finishing Alistair Overeem inside a round last September and halting former champion Junior dos Santos in just over two minutes in May of this year. Miocic's last five fights in total have resulted in stoppage wins.
Miocic has not fought since that May encounter, unable to come to an agreement on a contract renegotiation with the UFC.
Then, in the post-fight interview, Ngannou said he is the real world champion and that Miocic was simply holding the belt for him in the interim. Last week it was announced that Daniel Cormier will defend the light heavyweight title vs. Volkan Oezdemir on the card.
The pay-per-view event will mark only the fourth time in UFC history that the heavyweight and light heavyweight titles will be defended on the same card.
This heavyweight title fight is not only one of the most intriguing to book stylistically, but it also comes with serious implications.
- Bitcoin blows past $13000 for the first time
- Manchester City to make January move for Arsenal star
- Bigg Boss 11, Day 66 written updates: Arshi Khan becomes new captain
- Police bodycam shows United States politician caught in hotel room with teen boy
- Dwayne Johnson awarded with star on Hollywood Walk of Fame
- John Conyers Son and Heir Apparent Arrested for Felony Domestic Violence
- Rr Advisors LLC Increased Western Gas Partners (WES) Stake
- Ronda Rousey's Move To WWE Reportedly 'Imminent'
- Trending Stocks in Review: AT&T, Inc. (T), Alibaba Group Holding Limited (BABA)
- The Boring Company has published its tunnel map of Los Angeles