The art of the "pizzaiuolo" - handed down for generations in the southern Italian city - was given the nod by the United Nations cultural body's World Heritage Committee, who met on the South Korean island of Jeju.
In Jeju, South Korea, a committee of UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation) added Naples' pizza makers to their list.
On the UNESCO website notes that the art of making Neapolitan pizza is a unique culinary experience, which is based on preparing dough and baking in a wood oven.
Becoming a Pizzaiuolo involves being able to make the dough, twirl it in the air like a discus in order to get air into it, and of course, cooking one tasty pie.
Archetypal Neapolitan pizza has a relatively thin crust with the exception of the rim, which, when baked, bloats like a tiny bicycle tire.
They made Pizza Margherita with tomato sauce, mozzarella and basilica and distributed them to the public.
Tradition holds that the Margherita pizza was created in 1889 by a local chef in honor of Queen Margherita, who was visiting Naples, south of Rome on Italy's Tyrrhenian coast.
'I think, and I hope, that this could be the chance to make foreigners understand how pizza is made, without Nutella or pineapple, ' Matteo Martino, a customer at a Naples pizza restaurant said.
UNESCO also accepted Chogan, an Iranian horse-riding game accompanied by music and storytelling, and the craft of millers operating windmills and watermills in the Netherlands. Other edible members already on the list include Turkish coffee and its surrounding culture, Croatian gingerbread craft, French gastronomy, and traditional Mexican cuisine, which puts pizza in some good global company.
The traditional round pizza originated in Naples with roots that trace back to the 1700s, according to historians.
- 'Zombiefied' Angelina Jolie lookalike reveals she's a total fraud
- Dollar Tree (DLTR) PT Raised to $111.00
- Uber loses licence to operate in Sheffield
- Cabot Oil & Gas (COG) Price Target Raised to $32.00 at Barclays
- King Salman warns against embassy move to Jerusalem
- Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG) Stock Rating Reaffirmed by Credit Suisse Group
- Senior Palestinian Official: Vice President Pence Not Welcome In Palestine
- THQ Nordic's Fade to Silence Trailer Debuts, Early Access Starts Next Week
- House Votes To Dodge Gov't Shutdown
- Link can ride a motorcycle in Breath of the Wild's new DLC