Doerr said police advised the public not to donate to the campaign because it was not known where the money was going.
"We don't know his intentions", Doerr said. "Unfortunately, he has not contacted us at all and instead removed the GoFundMe link from his Facebook page", said Doerr.
"This matter is now being investigated by the Hamilton Police Service Major Fraud Branch", the Hamilton Police Service said in their press release.
The prime suspect in the death of a 19-year-old man who was shot dead December 2 while trying to assist an older man who was being harassed has been arrested in Haldimand County.
Brock University also announced that they will hold a vigil in the memory of Yosif on Friday.
Yosif Al-Hasnawi had just left his mosque in the area of Main Street East and Wentworth Street South Saturday night when he spotted two men accosting another man. If the page is indeed fraudulent, all donations will be refunded.
19-year-old Yosif Al-Hasnawi, who was a first-year medical science student at Brock University, was shot on December 2 after attempting to intervene as two young men accosted a senior citizen in downtown Hamilton.
Police had been searching for King, who faces a second-degree murder charge for several days. The image appears to show King in the back of a vehicle, with a time stamp of shortly before 6 p.m. Monday.
Police said a female was arrested at the same time and charged with accessory after the fact. Police say he should be considered armed and unsafe.
On Monday, 20-year-old James Anthony Robert Matheson was arrested and charged with accessory after the fact to murder in relation to Al Hasnawi's death.
- Warner Bros. to Shake Up DC Films in Wake of Justice League
- Heyman | Mariners acquire Dee Gordon from Marlins
- Is Bill Barrett (NYSE:BBG) In Trouble? Imperial Capital Issues Downgrade
- Lindsay Lohan: 'Dubai is a calmer home for me'
- HUD: Annual count shows fewer homeless people in Indiana
- Most Active Volume Stock: Activision Blizzard, Inc. (ATVI)
- Health insurance enrollment up in Florida as deadline nears
- Liberian court says presidential run-off can go ahead
- Hochschild Sells 15258 Shares of Discover Financial Services (DFS) Stock
- Trending Stocks Alert: NVIDIA Corporation (NVDA), Twenty-First Century Fox, Inc. (FOXA)