"Indonesia strongly condemns the United States' unilateral recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, and asks the U.S.to reconsider the decision", President Joko Widodo said at a news conference on Thursday.
Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi said in her opening speech at the Bali Democracy Forum on Thursday that Democracy meant respecting worldwide law, while the recognition by Trump as well as his decision to relocate the US Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem did not respect various United Nations Security Council (UNSC) resolutions.
President Widodo said, "Indonesia condemns United States' unilateral recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and requests the U.S.to reconsider the decision".
"Trump is drawing the ire of Muslims around the world", MUI Vice Chairman Zainut Tauhid said.
US ally Israel and Palestine both claim Jerusalem as their capital.
She showed the Palestinian scarf she wore as a form of Indonesian support and commitment to Palestinian people. "It is shaped by our views and interests, and not determined by any third country".
Tunisian Foreign Minister Khemaies Jhinaoui, speaking at the forum in Indonesia, said, "Such a decision will hamper the peace process efforts and will plunge the region into further turmoil and instability".
Trump defended his decision by saying the U.S. can not solve problems by making the same failed assumptions and repeating the same failed strategies of the past 70 years.
Trump announced his administration would begin a process of moving the USA embassy in Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, a step expected to take years and one that his predecessors opted not to take to avoid inflaming tensions.
Indonesia is a relentless supporter to Palestine, repeatedly called for the two-state solution that allows the two states of Palestine and Israel to live together side by side in peace and harmony, Marsudi said.
Earlier Wednesday, Trump announced his decision despite widespread worldwide opposition to formally recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital.
- Oscar victor Geoffrey Rush is suing The Daily Telegraph for defamation
- Dignity Health announces merger with Colorado-based Catholic Health Initiatives
- Pakistan announces match schedule for PSL 2018
- Man United to Give Mourinho Budget of €90M for January Transfer Window
- Justice Ademola's voluntary retirement dashes hope of Boko Haram suspects
- 2 killed, 2 injured in knife attack in Tokyo
- WINTON GROUP Ltd Boosts Holdings in Harley-Davidson, Inc. (HOG)
- Death toll in Thatta boat accident mounts to 17
- Ciena (CIEN) Releases Quarterly Earnings Results, Misses Estimates By $0.04 EPS
- Will 'Thor: Ragnarok' Director Taika Waititi Direct the Next 'Star Wars' Movie?