A team in Seattle would even it at 16 in each conference.
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman says the franchise fee for the 32nd club has been set at $650 million U.S., up significantly from the $500 million USA the Vegas Golden Knights paid to join the league this season.
What Bettman is asking of Seattle isn't all that different of the Vegas Golden Knights, who are now in their inaugural season and are in second place in the Pacific Division.
The Seattle City Council approved a privately financed $600 million renovation to KeyArena on Monday. "I think we'll meet the benchmarks we need to meet and in the mean time we'll be negotiating the side agreements, doing the environmental work and moving forward so we can open when the National Hockey League wants to come".
OK, the Sonics aren't coming back (just yet), but Seattle moved a step closer to giving hockey geeks (raise your hand - are you out there?) a reason to celebrate on Thursday when the NHL announced how it feels about an expansion franchise in the city.
OVG CEO Tim Leiweke says his group will work to get a team to join the WNBA's Seattle Storm at KeyArena.
It's true that not only did Seattle once have a hockey team, but some credit that team for changing hockey forever. The deal includes $20 million in cash and in-kind contributions to nonprofit organizations and $40 million for traffic improvements.
With files from the Associated Press.
- Hamilton police arrest suspect in fatal shooting of Good Samaritan
- First Solar (FSLR) Upgraded at Vetr
- Vera Bradley (VRA) Issues Earnings Results
- IBB Reacts To Atiku's Defection, Expects Successful PDP Convention
- Check out the Analyst's Opinions:: Nokia Corporation (NOK)
- Most Active Volume Stock: Activision Blizzard, Inc. (ATVI)
- Name of new Polish prime minister to be disclosed today: senior MP
- Wenger responds to call for Giroud to leave Arsenal
- Philippe Coutinho finally answers questions over his future at Liverpool
- The Crimson Tide Is In the Playoffs