The Toronto Blue Jays could soon find themselves under new ownership.
Tony Staffieri, the chief financial officer of Rogers Communications Inc., said Tuesday the company is considering selling the Toronto Blue Jays so it can acquire other assets.
But Staffieri made it clear that there is no imminent deal to sell the team.
Rogers, which operates cable TV and telecom services in Canada, bought 80 percent of the Blue Jays in 2000 and the remaining 20 percent in 2004, as part of a strategy to obtain broadcasting rights for what is Canada's only remaining Major League Baseball team.
But Galappatthige notes that Rogers has other non-core assets including a 37.5 per cent interest in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, which owns the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team and Toronto Raptors basketball team, and the Rogers Centre - worth $200 million to $400 million.
Earlier, Rogers had indicated that its is seeking alternative options enhance more value from its portfolio of assets, including the Jays. Then in 2005, they changed the stadium name from the Sky Dome to the Rogers Centre.
Rogers Communications has been the sole owner of the Blue Jays since 2004.
Under Rogers' ownership, the Blue Jays have had a record of 1459-1456 with an AL East division title in 2015 and an AL wild-card berth in 2016.
Mal Romanin, the club's longtime manager of baseball information fired in October, won the John Cerutti Award, given to the person associated with the day-to-day workings of Blue Jays baseball who displays goodwill, co-operation and character, as exemplified by the late left-hander. However, Staffieri's comments in NY were more specific. Share your thoughts in the comments section below.
- Kidnappers Abduct Plateau PDP Chairman And His Son
- Ameriprise Financial Inc. Sells 380116 Shares of Western Digital Corporation (NASDAQ:WDC)
- Man United to Give Mourinho Budget of €90M for January Transfer Window
- Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) Shares Bought by Old Mutual Global Investors UK Ltd.
- Light snow, rain chances continue overnight
- Bitcoin Surpasses $14000 Mark on Thursday, as S. Korea Rally Continues
- Sessions Rebukes DOJ Interns' Anti-Police, Pro-Pot Questions
- Which insiders are buying SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc. (SEAS)?
- 2 killed, 2 injured in knife attack in Tokyo
- Washington Prime Group Inc. (WPG)- Active Worth Watching Stock: Cott Corporation (COT)