The index had lost 205 points on Thursday following the Reserve Bank of India's action on monetary policy where the central bank stayed pat on rate, keeping it unchanged at 6%, and raised the inflation forecast for the remainder of the financial year 2017-18. At about 9.30 am, the Sensex was up 156.25 points or 0.47 per cent at 33,105.46 while the NSE Nifty rose 0.48 per cent or 48.95 points to 10,215.65. The broader Nifty index was up 49 points or 0.48 percent at 10,215. It had touched a high of 10,104.20 in early trade.
The BSE market breadth was bullish - 1,851 advances and 828 declines. SBI, ICICI Bank, Axis Bank, HDFC Bank, Bank of Baroda and Yes Bank fell by up to 1.44 percent.
In sync with overall trend, the rupee too weakened to quote at 64.55 against the dollar intra-day.
Emami shares jumped 2 percent.
On Friday, the benchmark indices were dragged lower by growing concerns over the country's widening fiscal deficit, coupled with negative global cues and profit booking in auto, metal and oil and gas stocks.
In broader markets, the BSE Midcap and BSE Smallcap indices were up 0.7% and 0.9%, respectively.
Selling pressure also gathered momentum in other stocks such as Sun Pharma, Tata Steel, Hero MotoCorp, Bajaj Auto, M&M, Adani Ports, Wipro, NTPC and L&T. DIIs had bought shares worth Rs 995.11 crore, while foreign funds sold shares to the tune of Rs 1,217.92 crore yesterday, the provisional exchange data showed.
Asian markets retreated, with Japan's Nikkei falling 0.37%, Hong Kong's Hang Seng declining 1.01% and Shanghai Composite Index finishing 0.18% lower. Frankfurt's DAX 30 fell 0.08 percent while Paris CAC 40 shed 0.26 percent in their early deals.
- THQ Nordic's Fade to Silence Trailer Debuts, Early Access Starts Next Week
- Fergie Opens Up About Her Horrific Crystal Meth Addiction
- Cabot Oil & Gas (COG) Price Target Raised to $32.00 at Barclays
- YouTube likely leading Google's merged music streaming service, 2018 launch planned
- King Salman warns against embassy move to Jerusalem
- NHL Agrees to Consider Seattle Expansion Proposal
- House Votes To Dodge Gov't Shutdown
- Most Active Stock: Bank of America Corporation (BAC)
- Death Stranding Still Teases Surrealism In New Trailer
- UFC champ Georges St-Pierre vacates middleweight title, Whittaker-Rockhold set