Statistics released earlier this year underscore just how heavy a toll the nation's opioid epidemic has had on counties throughout Pennsylvania, where the state saw a 37 percent increase in overdose deaths between 2015 and 2016.
The blue-hued lights are created to prevent heroin users from finding their veins, according to the store's cooperate office.
Not everyone thinks the new lights will do much to deter drug use, according to Triblive.
No, there's nothing wrong with the lights in the bathrooms at the New Kensington Sheetz. Most are also very familiar with where their veins are, he said. "I am not sure if it is going to have a significant impact, but it is probably worth a try".
The station reports that 179 people in the county have died drug-related deaths this year. "You can find a vein just simply by feeling". "I can understand Sheetz not wanting it to occur and if that drives them away, fine, but I don't think it's going to do it".
Many of those interviewed for the study perceived that the use of blue lights, rather than discouraging drug use, merely made injection more unsafe.
"When push comes to shove, it would mean no difference to me, really", one participant is quoted as saying. I don't think that's the case.
It is not clear if any drug users have ever overdosed in their bathrooms but local police say they find as many as two a month dead inside gas stations generally.
Sheetz said Wednesday that is testing blue lights in the restrooms of one of its stores in Westmoreland County. "For instance, NACS is working with the (U.S. Department of Homeland Security's) "Blue Campaign" to help communicate the problem of human trafficking".
- Most Active Volume Stock: Activision Blizzard, Inc. (ATVI)
- HUD: Annual count shows fewer homeless people in Indiana
- Watch the Game Awards Right Here
- M&S launch stoneless avocados - and says they could prevent 'avocado hand'
- Heyman | Mariners acquire Dee Gordon from Marlins
- Tokyo 2020 unveils mascot shortlist
- Israeli Army Strikes Several Border Areas In Gaza
- Hochschild Sells 15258 Shares of Discover Financial Services (DFS) Stock
- IBB Reacts To Atiku's Defection, Expects Successful PDP Convention
- Wenger responds to call for Giroud to leave Arsenal