UFC champ Georges St-Pierre vacates middleweight title, Whittaker-Rockhold set

Friday, 08 Dec, 2017

Especially after current UFC Middleweight champion, Georges St-Pierre's recent news regarding whether or not he'll come back to the division where he said, "I don't think so".

Whittaker (20-4-0), who won the interim middleweight championship while Bisping was out injured, has been elevated to undisputed champion by the UFC.

Many assumed that the only reason GSP made a decision to compete in a higher weight class was because he saw a vulnerable champion that he could beat. In an interview with TSN, St-Pierre used his strongest language yet to prepare us for the seemingly inevitable vacating of his title.

Reports have suggested that the Canadian legend's contract for his title shot against Bisping included a clause for an immediate defence against interim middleweight champion Robert Whittaker, who's been linked to an imminent clash with former title-holder Luke Rockhold.

"Rush", who made his successful return to the Octagon with a third-round submission over Bisping to capture the middleweight title, has stated publicly that moving up to 185 pounds was very hard on his overall and dietary health. The British star was promptly knocked out with a brutal strike in the first round, prompting legitimate questions as to whether or not Bisping should have been fighting so soon after "GSP" had choked him unconscious. So I can respect that.

Whittaker vs Rockhold may very well be the greatest matchup you can make at 185 lbs right now so there is no doubt that this will be a fantastic fight. As for Rockhold's comments, St-Pierre isn't taking any of what he said to heart. In a social media post last week, he told St-Pierre he was looking forward to sharing the cage with him.

"However, I believe for the UFC, that was not good to let an athlete fight after getting concussed in a fight for the world title and then getting choked out".