At least 1 injured, 1 in custody after explosion in Manhattan

Thursday, 14 Dec, 2017

Local news channel WABC cited police sources as saying a possible pipe bomb detonated in a passageway below ground at Port Authority.

Police said a man suspected of being behind the blast was in custody and suffered injuries.

Mount Sinai says it is working with law enforcement officials.

WABC reported that the suspect has been in the United States for seven years and has an address in New York's Brooklyn borough.

- Ullah recently did electrical work close to Port Authority with his brother.

The complaint says law enforcement also found a passport in Ullah's name with handwritten notations, including one that read: "O AMERICA, DIE IN YOUR RAGE".

He remained at Bellevue Hospital Center on Tuesday awaiting criminal charges, cops said.

- Police are asking anyone who may have any information about this individual or the incident to call Terror Hotline at 888-NYC-SAFE.

John Miller, NYPD's deputy commissioner of intelligence and counterterrorism, said the device was based on a pipe bomb and was "affixed to his person with a combination of velcro and zip ties".

The suspect was first spotted on a security camera as he began to climb the subway station stairs to the 18th Avenue F. train platform in Brooklyn at 6:25 a.m., according to one law enforcement official with direct knowledge of the investigation. The device that detonated was a foot-long pipe that contained black powder, a battery, wiring, nails and screws.

Several US officials familiar with the investigation told Reuters there was no information indicating Ullah was previously known to any USA spy or law enforcement agency for any connection to militant groups. The suspect was upset, in his words, with the "incursion into Gaza", the source said, but did not elaborate on what incursion he may have been alluding to.

USA media is reporting that the suspect told investigators that he was avenging attacks on the so-called Islamic State group and chose the location by its Christmas posters.

The New York Police Department's bomb squad was deployed to the scene.

The NYC Taxi and Limousine Commission confirms to NPR's Joel Rose that Ullah held a for-hire vehicle driver's license from March 2012 through March 2015, meaning he could have driven a black auto or livery vehicle in the city during that span.

Witness Hakeem Blay, who works for NY sightseeing bus company TopView, told he was standing outside the station when he heard a loud "boom" and saw people running from the station.

"I was going through the turnstile", he said.

"Fortunately for us, the bomb partially detonated", he said.

"Our lives revolve around the subway", DeBlasio said. "They just stay there", he said, adding that his tenants reported hearing "screaming and yelling" coming from Ullah's home the last two nights.