Films that are purchased will be available to download for offline viewing.
In addition to renting and purchasing at kiosks, Redbox customers now have the option to rent or purchase for streaming. It's available on the web, Android, iOS, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku and LG and Samsung smart TVs.
"Redbox customers have asked, and today we're delivering an On Demand option that offers them the best of both the physical and digital worlds", said Redbox CEO Galen Smith.
Redbox says that its On Demand launch partners include Warner Bros., Paramount, Lionsgate, Sony, Fox and University.
In terms of competitive pricing, buying a new release from another service can often cost 50 to 100 percent more: Wonder Woman, for example, sells for $15 or $20, depending on where you want it. Redbox On Demand's $4.99 rental price isn't a deal by any stretch, though, sitting smack-dab in the middle of the pricing pack. "Redbox's stronghold on new releases has played a big factor in our ongoing relevance to consumers who crave the latest content".
Pricing for on-demand rentals starts as low as $3.99 for 48-hour video on-demand rentals and $9.99 for individual movie/TV sales.
Adding yet another variation on the theme of digital video streaming, Redbox - the kiosk-based movie/TV rental service - will kick off a digital video-on-demand a la carte service.
The Redbox On Demand library may not be the exact same as the DVD library, but will offer numerous same new releases.
The new service offers numerous same new-release movies available at the kiosks - which average 1 million daily disc rentals - and also expands the library.
- Mara Says He Wants Manning To Return To Giants In 2018
- 'Game Of Thrones': Sophie Turner Recalls 'Emotional' Final Season Table Read
- Spain: 9-month profit for Zara owner jumps on strong sales
- The Steelers Awarded Ryan Shazier with Game Ball During Postgame FaceTime
- Crytek sues Star Citizen developer CIG alleging breach of contract
- New York City bombing suspect identified as Akayed Ullah from Bangladesh
- Dublin City Council removes Suu Kyi from honours list
- Matt Damon Has "Family Emergency" and Is Unable to Attend Britannia Awards
- 'Riverdale' meets 'Peanuts' in Jimmy Fallon's surprisingly ideal parody
- Double Homicide In Otsego County