Mumbai: The cab driver and his friend, who were arrested for allegedly raping a 30-year-old woman passenger, had trapped the woman by activating the child lock in the vehicle, bought beer en-route Vajreshwari and were drunk while committing the crime, according to police sources.
The two accused then made a decision to take her to a lodge in Vrajeshwari where they continued to assault.
The Mid-Day report added that the duo continued to assault the woman after taking her to a lodge in the Vajreshwari area.
A complaint was registered by the woman at the Kashimira police station, following which a team led by senior police inspector- Vaibhav Shingare apprehended the duo within 24 hours. She then alerted the owner. The victim approached a nearby stationed cab in which the two accused were present. The two men in auto drove the woman to various places for four hours and the driver allegedly raped her in the vehicle. However, the woman raised an alarm alerting the manager who immediately called the police control room.
The accused have been identified as 32-year-old Suresh Pandurang Gosavi, the cab driver, and 31-year-old Umesh Jaswant Zala, the passenger in the cab by which the girl was travelling.
Gosavi used to work for an app-based cab service provider, but had stopped accepting bookings for the last 10-15 days, the police told media persons.
Meanwhile, ANI has quoted Ola as saying in a statement: "We condemn any act of crime". The accused driver has been arrested by the Kashimira police along with a passenger who has also been accused of being an accomplice in the raping. We can confirm that this incident has not occurred on the Ola platform. "We have extended all support to the authorities".
The cops have lodged a case of rape and robbery against the two.
- Iceland Not Invited to a US Party in January
- Jimmy Garoppolo stuns Jaguars as 49ers roll NFL's best defense
- Delphi Automotive (NYSE:APTV) Receives New Coverage from Analysts at Barclays
- Coli outbreak in Canada, women at higher risk
- Most expensive cars in the world: review of 2018
- Jameis Winston freaks out on the field after Tampa falls to Carolina
- Court lifts Donald Trump's bar on refugees
- Springfield, Mo. father takes off with son during visitation
- H&R Block, Inc. (HRB)
- Selecting full strength South Africa XI a 'good nightmare': Ottis Gibson