On Wednesday, Washington and Davis teased the crossover event between their two series on social media, posting tantalizing photos of themselves on each other's sets - Washington in a familiar courthouse, Davis in a White House office. The two leading ladies, who are portrayed by Kerry Washington and Viola Davis respectively, have shown women in high positions with power, wit, and a "get things done" attitude that wasn't showcased in previous years.
Nowalk also explained to Deadline that the episode will air a few episodes before the series finale of "Scandal".
The Scandal edition was written by Raamla Mohamed and directed by one of the show's stars, Tony Goldwyn; the HTGAWM crossover was written by Morenike Balogun & Sarah L. Thompson and directed by Zetna Fuentes.
Update: With a photo from Viola Davis and a script page from Shonda Rhimes, this Scandal-HTGAWM shared universe is a go.
"People. It's happening. @petenowalk, you ready for this?"
This will be the first time the two actresses guest star on each other's shows. (An April Fool's online story in 2016 about a three-way TGIT crossover between Grey's Anatomy, Scandal and HTGAWM got fans pretty excited, indicating strong built-in interest in a possible stunt). They're far more similar to each other than Rhimes' other long-running show, Grey's Anatomy, which takes place predominantly in a hospital. HTGAWM is in its fourth season.
Fresh episodes of Rhimes' programming - better known as ABC's TGIT - returns on January 18.
- "The Mayor" Dropped From ABC's Schedule
- President Trump presses Congress for $18 billion to build border wall
- What you need to know about Meltdown and Spectre
- Oceans suffocating as huge dead zones quadruple since 1950, scientists warn
- $0.02 EPS Expected for Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD)
- Liam Payne & Rita Ora Drop Steamy Fifty Shades Collab "For You"
- Callon Petroleum Company (CPE) Rating Increased to Buy at Citigroup Inc
- Motel 6 sued for turning guest information over to ICE agents
- Ulta Beauty Inc (ULTA) Shares Bought by KBC Group NV
- (PG) Shares Declined, Holder Bahl & Gaynor INC Has Cut Stake