The character, created by Eric Knudsen for a Photoshop contest in 2009, has since inspired real attacks - mainly among young girls, including reports of a 13-year-old stabbing her mum in OH and a 14-year-old setting her house on fire in Florida. "It's popularizing a tragedy is what it's doing".
The most highly-publicised Slender Man crime was the 2014 stabbing of 12-year-old Payton Leutner by Anissa Weier and Morgan Geyser, who were of the same age. "I'm not surprised but in my opinion it's extremely distasteful", Bill Weier said. At the time of the incident, the girls told detectives the attack was aimed at appeasing the Slender Man, who they believed would harm them or their families if they didn't kill Leutner. "All we're doing is extending the pain all three of these families have gone through". He's typically depicted as a slim, spidery figure in a black suit with a featureless white face that preys on children.
Weier's daughter Anissa was sentenced to 25 years in a mental institution for her role in the real life case.
The movie is in post-production now, and is set to be released later in 2018. He has grown into a popular boogeyman and has appeared in video games and online stories. A first trailer for Slender Man just hit the web this week, which you can view here.
Based on the trailer, which was trending on YouTube by Thursday, it takes a more traditional horror approach to the case, which has already been the subject of an HBO documentary, Beware of Slenderman, which featured interviews with the families of the girls involved.
Geyser's attorney, Anthony Cotton, declined to comment on the movie. Sony's Slender Man will debut in theaters on May 18th. In September of that same year, a 14-year-old girl in Port Richey, Florida, set her house on fire.
- Charming Facts By Gulfport Energy Corporation (GPOR) on Volume Level
- Stryker Corporation (SYK) Receives Average Recommendation of "Hold" from Analysts
- (PG) Shares Declined, Holder Bahl & Gaynor INC Has Cut Stake
- Johanna Konta retires hurt from Brisbane International in quarter-final
- Oppenheimer Weighs in on Wells Fargo & Co's FY2017 Earnings
- Mega Millions, Powerball jackpots soar to a combined $1 billion
- Bryan Singer Removed as 'Legion' Executive Producer Amid Sexual Misconduct Scandal
- Going Through the Chart for The Mosaic Company (MOS)
- Thomas Monson, Leader Of Mormon Church, Dies At 90
- Snow falls in 'Sunshine State' of Florida as U.S. freeze continues