"So this is the time of year to test your home for cancer-causing radon gas, and we encourage you to urge friends and family to test their homes as well".
Radon is a colorless and odorless gas, which often gets into homes through cracks in the foundation or other openings. Radon in Colorado is generated by the radioactive decay of radium, which is present in uranium bearing soils found throughout the Rocky Mountains and the eastern plains.
According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States, surpassed only by cigarette smoking, and it is a significant environmental health threat that can be easily detected. Radon is responsible for about 21,000 lung cancer deaths every year. It's an low-cost way to offer families a benefit that could reduce their risk of lung cancer. The only way to know if you are at risk for radon exposure is to test your home.
Officials with the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection are encouraging homeowners to test their homes for radon.
Radon testing kits are typically affordable and can be found at home goods stores. Radon levels vary around the country, but no home is free from risk.
The Lexington-Fayette County Health Department's Division of Environmental Health has free radon testing kits available 8:30 a.m. -4 p.m. Monday-Friday at 650 Newtown Pike. "The best time to test for radon is during the colder months, when your home is closed and radon levels are likely to build to their highest concentrations". The techniques to prevent radon from entering a home are practical and straightforward for any builder.
- South African President Sets up Commission to Investigate Corruption
- Willie Nelson Cuts Show Short, Cancels Upcoming Dates, After Suffering Breathing Difficulties
- Sadananda Gowda urges CM Siddaramaiah to rule with seriousness
- Weather events in 2017 caused record damage in the United States
- Bears unsure about defensive coordinator Vic Fangio's future
- Analysts Anticipate Delta Air Lines, Inc. (DAL) to Announce $0.90 EPS
- Protesters plan rally against Trump before championship game
- Manchester United target drops huge transfer hint
- Is Buying United Parcel Service, Inc. (UPS) Here a Winning Strategy?
- Caterpillar (CAT) Upgraded to Overweight at JPMorgan Chase & Co