Red Fort Attack: Accused 'LeT operative' arrested after 18 years

Thursday, 11 Jan, 2018

After the request of remand, Kawa, who is a suspect in the 2000 Red Fort attack case, was sent to 10-day police custody.

A senior officer of Delhi Police said, "Bilal was arrested from Delhi airport in a joint operation carried out by Gujarat ATS and Delhi Police special cell". Reportedly, Kawa confessed during the interrogations that he had been changing location frequently but settled down at Kashmir for a long time.

Kawa, 37, a proclaimed offender in the case, has been on the run since 2000 and was hiding in Kashmir, police said, adding that he was arrested on information that he was travelling from Srinagar to Delhi.

Kawa's name had cropped up during a trial to convict the alleged accused of the terror attack was going on in court. He said that Kawa allegedly played a key role in funding the attack.

According to Kawa's cousin Hina, the terror suspect went to the national capital to meet his wife and daughter, who went to Delhi to spend the winter.

The police filed an FIR against prime accused Ashfaq Ahmed and 21 others, but charges were finally pressed against only 11, including Bilal.

Two soldiers of the Seventh Battalion of the Rajputana Rifles and a civilian guard were killed in indiscriminate firing at the Red Fort on December 22, 2000.