23 civilians killed in Syria, most in Russian air strikes

Friday, 12 Jan, 2018

Airstrikes have continued to hit the rebel-held city of Harasta, with the United Nations warning that as many as 400,00 civilians in the area face "complete catastrophe" because aid deliveries have been blocked by the government and people needing urgent medical treatment have not been allowed outside the enclave.

According to the Syrian Network for Human Rights, 10,204 civilians were killed in 2017, including 2,298 children and 1,536 women.

Syria has been locked in a vicious civil war since early 2011, when the Assad regime cracked down on pro-democracy protests with unexpected ferocity.

More than 600 people are in need of urgent medical care, according to SAMS.

The army has been gaining ground in Idlib and the adjoining eastern Hama countryside, with scores of villages seized from rebels mainly belonging to Tahrir al Sham, a coalition of jihadist groups with mainstream Free Syrian Army (FSA) factions also engaged in the battles.

The United Nations has made repeated calls for warring parties to abide by their responsibility to protect children in line with global humanitarian and human rights law.

The ministry said that two servicemen were killed in a rebel mortar attack on the air base on New Year's Eve, but that no planes had been destroyed.

Russian Federation first launched bombing raids in 2015 in support of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's forces.

The Defense Ministry on Thursday said two Russian military personnel were killed during a mortar attack on the Khmeimim Air Base in Syria's Latakia province on December 31, 2017.

"Kommersant's report on the alleged "destruction" of seven Russian military aircraft at Khmeimim Airbase is fake", the MoD said in a statement, according to RT.

Both the monitor and the Syrian Civil Defence, a group of volunteer first responders, said at least 18 people died in a double-tap air raid in the besieged town of Misraba on Wednesday night, while three others were killed in the Bett Sawa area, including women and children.

"During night time on December 31, 2017 the airfield Hemeimeem was subjected to a sudden mortar shelling of a mobile group of militants".

Russian President Vladimir Putin made a surprise visit to Syria last month where he ordered the start of a pullout of Russian troops, saying their task in the war-torn country had been largely completed.

Russian Federation first launched bombing raids in 2015 in support of Syrian President Assad's beleaguered forces.