An elderly couple have been arrested for a second time in less than a month after claiming the marijuana they were found with on the first occasion was to be used for Christmas gifts.
The arrest Tuesday comes just more than three weeks after the couple was arrested December 19 with 60 pounds of marijuana in their Toyota Tacoma.
Lt. Paul Vrbka with the York County Sheriff's Department said Tuesday morning that his agency was informed that Patrick Jiron, 80, and Barbara Jiron, 70, were taken into custody during a traffic stop in Lancaster County.
A drug-sniffing dog then led police to the trunk, where they found most of the money in a duffel bag along with traces of marijuana, according to the sheriff's office.
Lancaster County sheriff's deputies stopped the couple's westbound pickup truck, saying it was following another vehicle too closely, said Sheriff's Sgt. Jason Mayo.
Sheriff Terry Wagner said the couple was found in a auto with $18,000 cash and a duffel bag with marijuana residue on it. Wagner said no drugs were found in the vehicle.
Barbara Jiron was arrested with her husband.
The two were detained and booked at the Lancaster County Jail for possession of money "used or meant to be used to facilitate a violation" of laws against controlled substances.
They were out on bond and expected in York County Court at separate hearings in the original case Wednesday and next week, according to court records.
Burlington Free Press later linked the couple to Chittenden County Chief Deputy State's Attorney Justin Jiron, who the paper said is their son.
Mariah Jiron, who is their daughter, was issued a warning.
The Jirons allegedly said the marijuana was for Christmas presents for family and friends.
The couple are scheduled to appear in York County Court on January 17.
Patrick and Barbara Jiron each was charged with possession of marijuana with intent to deliver and having no drug tax stamp.
The elderly parents of a Vermont prosecutor caught in a massive drug bust before Christmas have been arrested again.
- Bharti Airtel fixed, wireless postpaid customers to get Amazon Prime service free
- Team of the Year is announced
- Parametric Portfolio Associates LLC Increases Stake in Symantec Corporation (NASDAQ:SYMC)
- U.S. said to fatally bomb Afghan militia
- Jac Schaeffer To Pen The Script Of 'Black Widow'
- Analyst Research and Ratings: LCI Industries (LCII), Genesee & Wyoming Inc. (GWR)
- Oracle Corporation (ORCL) Shares Bought by Cedar Capital LLC
- Stocks Movement Analysis: Spirit Realty Capital, Inc. (SRC), Southern Company (SO)
- Michigan State vs. Rutgers - 1/10/18 College Basketball Pick, Odds, and Prediction
- Components for life disclosed in meteorites