Microsoft has announced that JCI (Johnson Controls) has launched a new smart thermostat called GLAS that uses Windows 10 IoT Core as the operating system and integrates Cortana. The device will be available for pre-order beginning in March, for a price of $319.
Microsoft has unveiled a thermostat with its Cortana virtual assistant built in adding a suite of smart capabilities into temperature control. "Cortana can help you manage your calendar, inform you of traffic, answer questions, and more, so all of this information is on display in one place to help jumpstart your day before leaving the door", Microsoft explained. No matter where you install the device, the GLAS will reportedly be capable of monitoring indoor tVOC, humidity and eCO2 levels while simultaneously monitoring outdoor pollen levels, all while "intelligently" adjusting its settings to suit ever-changing air conditions.
It's likely that the design will prove the most striking part of the GLAS' appeal, of course. The translucent 5.91-inch 16:9 touchscreen runs at 480 x 272 resolution, and sits atop of a curved metal bracket that stands 1.18-inches from the wall.
GLAS can also detect when you're not home, and will lower its consumption during those periods to save energy. "We wanted to take our experience of designing thermostats for industrial applications and enhance the features, function and user interface of the thermostat to create a more efficient and innovative way to control a space".
Johnson Controls hasn't provided a specific release date for the product, only saying that it will be available for pre-order in March and will be available in the first quarter of 2018, for $319.
- Traders Buy Constellation Brands (STZ) on Weakness
- Sevilla keen on loan deal for Chelsea forward Batshuayi
- United Kingdom government warns social media giants to fight extremism or face fines
- Jac Schaeffer To Pen The Script Of 'Black Widow'
- Bill Belichick: I don't know if Malcolm Mitchell returns this year
- Analyst Opinion Summary: Boston Scientific Corporation (BSX), Biogen Inc. (BIIB)
- Lionel Messi stars as Barcelona thrash Celta Vigo in the cup
- Is Britney Spears Engaged to BF Sam Asghari? See Her New Ring!
- Elderly couple caught with 60 pounds of marijuana arrested again
- Security forces capture ISIS executioner who threw gay men off buildings