An opening for Mr. Renacci was created Friday when Republican Ohio Treasurer Josh Mandel dropped out of the race, saying he needs to devote attention to his wife's undisclosed illness.
Ohio Republicans are recruiting former Ohio State University head football coach Jim Tressel to run for the Senate this year, seeing his popularity across the Buckeye State as a key asset to challenge incumbent Democratic Sen.
Mike Biundo, a consultant for Gibbons, said Gibbons was committed to the race and had done more to support Trump than any other potential candidate. Sherrod Brown, a Democrat, with less than a month until the February 7 filing deadline.
"Only an outsider can beat Sherrod Brown", Gibbons said in a statement.
Earlier this week I was asked to attend a meeting at the White House, at which I was asked to help protect the future of President Trump's agenda by entering Ohio's 2018 race for the United States Senate. "And for that reason I've agreed to answer the call to service and enter the race for United States Senate", Mr. Renacci said.
Joyce is not the only one who has expressed interest in Tressel challenging Brown, in large part because of the famed coach's name recognition. "He brings nothing to the table but a record of giving away tax breaks to multi-millionaires like himself, while making OH families pay more for their healthcare and empowering corporations to send good OH jobs overseas", Strassberger said.
Brown, an Ohio Democrat seeking his third term in the U.S. Senate, now faces Republican Mike Gibbons.
"Voters want a true outsider in the race and are exhausted of career politicians who are always interested in their next job".
But Gibbons, whose net worth has been estimated to be as much as $100 million, would have the bankroll to fund a formidable campaign.
"Rep. Jim Renacci is the posterboy of Washington Republicans who've spent their time in office betraying middle-class workers to make life easier on the wealthy and well-connected".
Though just a month ago, Renacci announced he would bring on Cincinnati council member Amy Murray as a running mate for governor, in recent weeks Renacci reportedly was waiting for an invitation to switch races. "The fact remains that Mike Gibbons is far better positioned to defeat Sherrod Brown than any member of Congress".
Renacci, who has represented OH in Congress since 2011, would have the president's support in a state Trump won in 2016 by 8 percentage points.
- Preferred Apartment Communities Inc. (APTS) Sees Significant Increase in Short Interest
- Sweden says US cutting aid to Palestine threatens stability
- Kohl's (KSS) Lifted to Overweight at JPMorgan Chase & Co
- Flight of the Conchords returning to HBO with new comedy special
- Prince of Persia Creator Attempting to Resurrect the Franchise
- Dancing On Ice returns to ITV with a staggering amount of viewers!
- NVIDIA (NVDA) Rating Increased to Strong-Buy at BidaskClub
- Laboratory Corporation of America Holdings (LH) Stake Lowered by Clinton Group Inc
- Bhajji's Song Dedication To Dravid On His Birthday Is Winning The Internet
- Analyst Opinion Summary: Boston Scientific Corporation (BSX), Biogen Inc. (BIIB)