An opening for Mr. Renacci was created Friday when Republican Ohio Treasurer Josh Mandel dropped out of the race, saying he needs to devote attention to his wife's undisclosed illness.
Ohio Republicans are recruiting former Ohio State University head football coach Jim Tressel to run for the Senate this year, seeing his popularity across the Buckeye State as a key asset to challenge incumbent Democratic Sen.
Mike Biundo, a consultant for Gibbons, said Gibbons was committed to the race and had done more to support Trump than any other potential candidate. Sherrod Brown, a Democrat, with less than a month until the February 7 filing deadline.
"Only an outsider can beat Sherrod Brown", Gibbons said in a statement.
Earlier this week I was asked to attend a meeting at the White House, at which I was asked to help protect the future of President Trump's agenda by entering Ohio's 2018 race for the United States Senate. "And for that reason I've agreed to answer the call to service and enter the race for United States Senate", Mr. Renacci said.
Joyce is not the only one who has expressed interest in Tressel challenging Brown, in large part because of the famed coach's name recognition. "He brings nothing to the table but a record of giving away tax breaks to multi-millionaires like himself, while making OH families pay more for their healthcare and empowering corporations to send good OH jobs overseas", Strassberger said.
Brown, an Ohio Democrat seeking his third term in the U.S. Senate, now faces Republican Mike Gibbons.
"Voters want a true outsider in the race and are exhausted of career politicians who are always interested in their next job".
But Gibbons, whose net worth has been estimated to be as much as $100 million, would have the bankroll to fund a formidable campaign.
"Rep. Jim Renacci is the posterboy of Washington Republicans who've spent their time in office betraying middle-class workers to make life easier on the wealthy and well-connected".
Though just a month ago, Renacci announced he would bring on Cincinnati council member Amy Murray as a running mate for governor, in recent weeks Renacci reportedly was waiting for an invitation to switch races. "The fact remains that Mike Gibbons is far better positioned to defeat Sherrod Brown than any member of Congress".
Renacci, who has represented OH in Congress since 2011, would have the president's support in a state Trump won in 2016 by 8 percentage points.
- Dancing On Ice returns to ITV with a staggering amount of viewers!
- Mysterious 'alien megastructure' star might finally have an explanation
- Sirius XM (SIRI) Downgraded by JPMorgan Chase & Co. to "Underweight"
- East West Bancorp (EWBC) Downgraded by Zacks Investment Research
- Microsoft shares pre-order details for the $319 Cortana thermostat
- IN one step closer to Sunday alcohol sales after Senate committee vote
- Laboratory Corporation of America Holdings (LH) Stake Lowered by Clinton Group Inc
- United Kingdom government warns social media giants to fight extremism or face fines
- Security forces capture ISIS executioner who threw gay men off buildings
- Russian man rams stolen tank into shop, steals wine