Following a report that Navy HC Ken Niumatalolo was a serious candidate for the head-coaching position at Arizona, sophomore QB Khalil Tate tweeted, "I didn't come to Arizona to run the [triple] option". Football Scoop's Scott Roussel said UA is now negotiating a contract with Niumatalolo.
Rodriguez was sacked January 2 after he was accused in a $7.5 million claim against him by a former administrative assistant of sexual harassment and running a hostile workplace at Arizona.
Scheer reported Niumatalolo has not accepted the job nor has he told his team about it.
Niumatalolo, 52, has been the head coach at Navy for the past 10 years.
After Rodriguez was sacked, Tate immediately endorsed Arizona defensive coordinator Marcel Yates as the man to take over. He has a career 84-48 record as Navy's head coach, including five seasons with at least nine victories.
Niumatalolo, a disciple of former UA coach Dick Tomey, is the favorite following the final round of interviews.
Anyone who watched Navy in recent years know that Niumatalolo's offense is nearly exclusively a running offense, utilizing the triple option. He was offered, and ultimately declined, the head coaching job at BYU after the 2015 season. Last season, the Midshipmen were second in the nation (behind only Army) in rushing yards per game.
Like the other service academies, Navy runs the option.
Tate has since deleted the tweet captured above and locked his Twitter account, and let's chalk up his inability to spell "triple" as an oversight in a fit of frustration or an effort to be fast.
- Of Nevada Inc. Lowers Holdings in Johnson & Johnson (NYSE:JNJ)
- Utilities to calculate tax savings; ratepayers could benefit
- British American Tobacco PLC (BTI) Shares Sold by KAMES CAPITAL plc
- Robert Whittaker pulls out of UFC 221 as replacement fight is named
- OH teacher accused of telling black student he might be lynched
- Worth Watching Stocks: Entercom Communications Corp. (ETM), Ballard Power Systems Inc. (BLDP)
- Why JJ Redick questions existence of dinosaurs
- Automotive Engine Oil Market | Global Industry Report (2012-2022)
- Tractor Supply (TSCO) Forecasted to Earn FY2017 Earnings of $3.30 Per Share
- (UTX) Holdings Cut by Meag Munich Ergo Kapitalanlagegesellschaft MBH