In December, Mourinho explained he would try to give first-team opportunities to the defender and 21-year-old Scott McTominay during the busy festive period.
The 20-year-old centre-half is a former victor of the club's young player of the year award and has broken through under the Portuguese and has been training with the Red Devils' first-team squad.
That is because the player has been out with injury and fitness problems for a couple of weeks now.
Karanka has opted to start with David Vaughan up front as the hosts bid to halt a run that has seen them go three league games without scoring a single goal and they come up against a Villa side that has won their last two league outings without conceding.
"We have a bit of everything. We believe. We really do", he told the club's website.
"Josh Onomah is another one. We're particularly close on one - let's hope it can happen".
Though, it won't be an easy rest of the season for the player as he is set to join Steve Bruce's promotion pushing Aston Villa.
"But it is something we are thinking about, a loan until the end of the season". We are a bit afraid of injuries, a bit afraid of needing him, we have Eric Bailly injured, we are not free of other injuries, so we are delaying the decision and we are going to delay until the end of the transfer window.
- Bank NS Halifax (BNS) Position Lifted by Jones Collombin Investment Counsel Inc
- Tottenham to open contract talks with another duo, fans will be delighted
- Murphy Oil (MUR) Downgraded by Zacks Investment Research to Sell
- Activision Blizzard, Inc. (ATVI) Position Lowered by Jaffetilchin Investment Partners LLC
- Katie Couric Finally Speaks out About Matt Lauer's Firing from 'Today'
- Westpac Banking Corp Sells 3321 Shares of AbbVie Inc (ABBV)
- Florida monkeys can be a cause of herpes for you
- Beech Hill Advisors Inc. Sells 144935 Shares of General Electric (GE)
- Labour steps up investigation into MP Ivan Lewis
- Showtime To Broadcast Chelsea Manning Documentary 'XY Chelsea'