In December, Mourinho explained he would try to give first-team opportunities to the defender and 21-year-old Scott McTominay during the busy festive period.
The 20-year-old centre-half is a former victor of the club's young player of the year award and has broken through under the Portuguese and has been training with the Red Devils' first-team squad.
That is because the player has been out with injury and fitness problems for a couple of weeks now.
Karanka has opted to start with David Vaughan up front as the hosts bid to halt a run that has seen them go three league games without scoring a single goal and they come up against a Villa side that has won their last two league outings without conceding.
"We have a bit of everything. We believe. We really do", he told the club's website.
"Josh Onomah is another one. We're particularly close on one - let's hope it can happen".
Though, it won't be an easy rest of the season for the player as he is set to join Steve Bruce's promotion pushing Aston Villa.
"But it is something we are thinking about, a loan until the end of the season". We are a bit afraid of injuries, a bit afraid of needing him, we have Eric Bailly injured, we are not free of other injuries, so we are delaying the decision and we are going to delay until the end of the transfer window.
- Report warns London could see 'lost decade' of employment with hard Brexit
- 5 ice fishermen rescued from Lake Erie ice floe
- Beech Hill Advisors Inc. Sells 144935 Shares of General Electric (GE)
- Two Stable Stocks: Akers Biosciences Inc. (AKER), Teekay Tankers Ltd. (TNK)
- New Residential Investment Corp (NRZ) Announces Quarterly Dividend of $0.50
- India's vote on Jerusalem will not impact ties with Israel: Netanyahu
- Labour steps up investigation into MP Ivan Lewis
- TransCanada (TRP) Hits New 12-Month Low at $59.12
- Simona Halep Faces Wild Card in Australian Open First Round
- Flotek Industries Sees Unusually Large Options Volume (NYSE:FTK)