If we do a pilot and series, nothing is going to air on HBO until at least a year after the final season.
This week, HBO's President of Programming Casey Bloys spoke to The Hollywood Reporter at the Television Critics Association in Pasedena, and he confirmed they are still developing the five potential prequel spin-off ideas we told you about in May. While George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series has been a cult hit since it debuted in the '90s, few could have imagined that HBO's adaptation would make the author a household name and see each new season eclipse the previous one in ratings. But none of those series bring in even close to the viewership numbers that HBO enjoys with Game of Thrones, and the return of Big Little Lies or True Detective would have helped soften that blow. Just like with season eight, we're willing to wait, but we don't like it.
"What I don't want to do is detract from the final season", Bloys explained. "It was based on when [the creators] felt that they could deliver a show that they are most proud of". "But if you ask me, 'Would I rather have Game of Thrones back earlier or would I rather have it be good?' I'd would rather have it be good". "Probably more likely around one". We have really great writers working on these; it's very exciting. I've seen some exciting material. Benioff and Weiss clearly know what they're doing when it comes to Game of Thrones, and there's no reason to believe that they'll fall short for the final season.
The duo wanted as much time as they could to make the strongest - and most epic - episodes that they possibly could. That does not mean season 8 is anywhere close to premiering. I don't want to cheapen it with a spinoff airing right after it.
"I suppose we could've said to them, 'You must deliver by this date,"' he continues.
- Benchmark oil futures open the year with levels above $60
- State Department revamps travel advisories to make them easier to understand
- Tamil Nadu transport workers call off 8-day strike 'temporarily'
- Nonprofits, County Agencies Awarded $20 Million in HUD Grants to Combat Homelessness
- Saints Outlast Panthers in Thriller
- Ant Financial's MoneyGram acquisition Scrapped
- Taylor Swift books 3rd NY-area concert despite lack of sellouts
- Diet Coke has a brand-new look, and four new flavours
- ICE Detains Immigrant Rights Activist Ravi Ragbir During Routine Check
- WWE Royal Rumble 2018 Spoiler: Two Former Women's Champions Returning?