Record highs are possible.
Madison's record precipitation for January 10 is 1.12 inches, set in 1869. The heaviest snow and sleet is likely to come between 2 and 9 a.m. Saturday.
The warning is for Cayuga, Cortland, Madison, Oneida, Onondaga, Seneca, Steuben and Yates counties. Temperatures will fall into the lower 30s and below freezing late Friday afternoon, with a transition from a wintry mix to snow.
Montana's next winter storm is just hours away and it's expected to drop significant snow in some areas.
The NWS says this combination of snow and ice will result in hard travel conditions, including slippery roads and limited visibilities, potentially affecting both the morning and evening commutes on Friday.
More bitter cold will be arriving early in the weekend. The snow will fall as the storm system is pulling away from the Tennessee Valley, so snow amounts will be generally less than an inch with locally higher amounts in spots. For meteorological winter, Madison has received 4.4 inches, 13.1 inches below normal. The service said snow accumulations will be between 2 to 4 inches in addition to about a quarter-inch of ice. The heaviest rainfall is most likely between about 10 p.m. Friday and 3 a.m. Saturday. "We'll probably get some winter precipitation, but there's really no confidence in how much, or what kind".
Thursday: Warm. Isolated shower.
Rain showers will increase this evening with rain becoming widespread after midnight.
The flood watch, which started Thursday night, encompasses large swaths of Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia. This will change to an icy mix Friday night. We should see significant rainfall Friday night but not almost enough to put a dent in the drought.
"Snow will be ongoing in Western and Northwest Iowa and a band of 4 to 7" of snow is possible in counties including, Guthrie, Greene, Boone, Webster, Wright and Hamilton Counties.
The warning officially comes to an end at 10 a.m. on Saturday. Turning colder through the day.
A major temperature tumble is forecast following the storm system. We will continue to bring you updates throughout this event as more information becomes available.
- Blackrock Earnings Rise 21% As Assets Under Management Swell
- Spartak Moscow under fire for "chocolate" tweet
- Crimson Tide Stages Stunning Comeback To Win Title
- South African protesters ransack H&M stores over "racist" ad
- Manchester United stars celebrate during Dubai training
- City loan out Nwakali to Aberdeen
- Roaming Florida monkeys excrete virus that can kill you, study finds
- Australian rugby players set for pay rise
- Helen Mirren Finds Out She's Younger Than She Thought, Has Best Reaction
- Boeing Unveils VTOL Drone for Cargo Transport