Former education secretary Justine Greening blocked plans to reduce university tuition fees, Theresa May's former chief of staff has claimed. The Church has stated that this regulation forces it to violate Canon Law, as it means over-subscribed Catholic schools would have to turn away children because they were Catholic.
The 48-year-old who replaced former Defence Secretary Michael Mates as the MP for the East Hampshire constituency in 2010, when the boundary was also changed to include Liphook and Grayshott.
Despite a manifesto commitment to remove the 50 per cent cap on free schools admitting pupils on the basis of religion, Christian Today reported a year ago that under Greening officials were "laying the groundwork for a U-turn".
The person holding the post of Education Secretary has the power to remove the cap without a parliamentary vote. Over 823,000 pupils are educated in Catholic schools; 68 per cent of students are Catholic and 36 per cent are from ethnic minority backgrounds, according to the Catholic Education Service.
Conservative HomeDamian Hinds has been appointed as education secretary.
She replaced Nicky Morgan as both education secretary and minister for women and equalities in July 2016 after Theresa May became Prime Minister. "We hope we will now be able to continue to develop our current plans to open up to eight new schools across East Anglia".
The National Secular Society responded to his promotion by saying: 'This appointment could be bad news for inclusive education and social cohesion'.
'This government has a strong record raising education standards and offering opportunity, particularly to those most in need, through our nurseries, schools, colleges and world-class universities.
The father of three came to prominence serving as a member of the Education Select Committee after entering the House of Commons almost eight years ago, and also chaired the All Party Parliamentary Groups for Social Mobility and Credit Unions.
- Number of women sitting behind the camera hasn't changed in 20 years
- AIR 1 Nishita Purohit Shares Preparation Strategies with NEET, AIIMS Aspirants
- Funeral services today for sisters murdered Christmas Day in Oak Bay
- John Lewis Christmas sales exceed £1bn but profit margin shrinks
- Jennifer Lopez Is Returning To 'Will & Grace' In 2 Roles
- Toyota Bringing Amazon Alexa to Its Cars
- Ryder Cup target for Casey
- Honeywell International Inc (NYSE:HON) Institutional Investor Positioning Change
- Myanmar: Soldiers, villagers killed Rohingya in mass grave
- Analytical Overview of Signet Jewelers Limited (NYSE:SIG)