Housing for homeless people in San Francisco got a boost Thursday when the federal government announced it is giving the city $9 million more than it did past year as part of its annual funding for homeless programs around the nation. That includes a focus on Housing First, which moves people quickly from homelessness into permanent housing, rather than using transitional housing as an intermediate step.
HUD officials said the Continuum of Care grants will provide critically needed housing and support services to homeless individuals and families in Erie, Niagara, Orleans, Genesee, Wyoming, Chautaugua, and Cattaraugus counties. Those grants will be allocated separately from today's announced $2 billion in funding and are due to be announced sometime in mid-March.
Los Angeles County - which has the nation's second-highest number of homeless people of any region at more than 55,000 - will receive about $122 million.
The aggregate sum awarded to entities within California was $382,566,777 - the largest amount of any state.
HUD-funded strategies have led to a 22 percent reduction in the homeless population in Western New York since 2010, according to Regional Administrator Lynne Patton. In addition, Veteran homelessness increased by 1.5 percent, chronic homelessness increased by 12.2 percent and family homelessness declined by 5.4 percent. Family homelessness increased by 4 percent.
Last month, HUD reported that homelessness crept up in the United States, with an annual homeless assessment report showing 553,742 people without a home in 2017. They will report these one-night "point-in-time counts" later in the year to establish HUD's 2018 national homeless estimate.
The programs consist of planning agencies known as "continuums of care".
- James France wins 'Best Actor' for 'The Disaster Artist'
- Nitish Kumar's convoy attacked, pelted with stones in Bihar; two injured
- Progress Software (PRGS) Updates FY18 Earnings Guidance
- Special counsel's team, lawyers discuss possible Trump interview in Russian probe
- New Website Aims To Help Support Victims Of Human Trafficking
- Bhajji's Song Dedication To Dravid On His Birthday Is Winning The Internet
- Natalie Portman in Talks to Replace Reese Witherspoon in 'Pale Blue Dot'
- QB Drew Barker will transfer for graduate season
- Kevin Gates Released From Prison, For Real This Time
- Microsoft shares pre-order details for the $319 Cortana thermostat