Even under the blue passports are two sections - those who require an emigration check (ECR) and those who do not (ECNR). The Ministry of External Affairs, the nodal ministry for issuing passports has also made a decision to provide a separate passport of orange colour for the Emigration Clearance Required (ECR) category.
Nashik, would be designing the new passport booklets in due course. While Indian passports come in a blue jacket, diplomatic and official passports carry white and red jackets, respectively.
The MEA is also considering changing the colour of passports.
There was, however, no word from the ministry on whether the passport would cease to be a valid document for proof of address for official purposes as a result of the move to do away with the personal details page. This effectively means that the passport may not serve as an address proof in the near future.
"The decision to keep the last page of the passport blank has been taken" to protect the details contained, he explained.
After examining International Civil Aviation Organisation's guidelines regarding machine-readable travel documents, MEA decided that the last page of the passport booklet will no longer be printed.
All current passports will continue to be valid, even once the new series of passports are issued, up till their expiry date.
The committee was constituted to examine various issues pertaining to passport applications where mother and child had insisted that the name of the father should not be mentioned in the passport and also relating to passport issues to children with single parent and to adopted children. In the case of ECR passport-holders, this status is provided on the same page.
The history of passport dates back to approximately 450 BC when King Artaxerxes I of Persia issued a letter to an official named Nehemiah for travelling beyond his country to Judea, the modern day Israel.
The Indian Express report stated that while applying for a new passport, the applicant needs to enter the address, however, the same will not be printed on the last page.
- Southwest Florida reacts to Trump comments
- Freeport-McMoRan Inc. (NYSE:FCX)
- Lance Rattles LeBron, Pacers Register Another Win Over Cavs
- Unitedhealth Group INC Com (UNH) Shareholder Stralem & Co INC Decreased Stake
- Intrepid Potash, Inc. (NYSE: IPI)
- Court Clears Coast For Anambra Central Senatorial Rerun Poll Today
- Walt Disney Co (NYSE:DIS) Shares Sold by Karp Capital Management Corp
- (NASDAQ:SBUX) Shares Sold by New York State Teachers Retirement System
- Kolkata: BJP calls off bike rally alleging TMC workers attacked them
- Kosmos Energy Ltd Com (KOS) Stock Rating Upgraded by Credit Suisse Group